Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Latitude 7280 upgrades

Options
  • 13-12-2020 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I have a Dell Latitude 7280 with an Intel Core i7 6600U @ 2.60GHz with DDR4 16Gb RAM and an Intel HD Graphics 520 and a Samsung SSD PM981 NVMe M.2 512Gb.

How good would this laptop be currently rated & can any of these components be upgraded?

Comments

a 400 euro laptop would be more powerful today from the point of view of the cpu

you can upgrade the ram or ssd

(although 16gb ram could be the max ram capacity for that laptop)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Thanks for the reply. Do you think that this refurbished laptop is worth €417?

What laptop/processor would you recommend for €417?

Not a gamer, just some video editing on windows movie maker would be the limit.

Can 16gb of Ram be improved by a better/more expensive brand?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. Do you think that this refurbished laptop is worth €417?

What laptop/processor would you recommend for €417?

Not a gamer, just some video editing on windows movie maker would be the limit.

Can 16gb of Ram be improved by a better/more expensive brand?

Cheers

That cpu is not ideal for video editing really.

It's also a fairly small laptop screen for editing

If you really want to get into video editing look for AMD 4500u or preferably 4600h.

Would mean upping your budget

Which laptop is 417 btw? The Dell?

glasso wrote: »
    That cpu is not ideal for video editing really.

It's also a fairly small laptop screen for editing

If you really want to get into video editing look for AMD 4500u or preferably 4600h.

Would mean upping your budget

Which laptop is 417 btw? The Dell?

Yes the Dell Latitude is €417

I'm trying to figure out the best portable 12" laptop that can handle a bit of video editing within a €400 range. The 2018 Dell Latitude above seems to fit the bill best.

once you stick to 1080p resolution should be doable

even tho the cpu says i7 it's an old 2-core cpu so i7 doesn't mean anything really. a sub-i3 current cpu would be more powerful

6-core and 8-core cpus are common in laptops now

the battery is going to be degraded on an older machine that has already been used tho - just be aware of that

e.g. if it was 6 hours battery life new could be 3 now.

• Advertisement

once you stick to 1080p resolution should be doable

even tho the cpu says i7 it's an old 2-core cpu so i7 doesn't mean anything really. a sub-i3 current cpu would be more powerful

6-core and 8-core cpus are common in laptops now

the battery is going to be degraded on an older machine that has already been used tho - just be aware of that

e.g. if it was 6 hours battery life new could be 3 now.

Thank you for the heads up regarding the i7 core. I assumed that the i7 was much better than the i3 but since looking into it further, as you said all of this i3 i7 stuff sounds good and means not a lot.

Do you know if the AMD 4500u or 4600h features in a 12-13 laptop?

could look at the updated version of the Huawei matebook d 14 / magicbook 14 (same laptop just different name) with the amd 4500u

it's a 14 inch screen but the borders are very small so same size as a 13 inch laptop really.

it's light also at 1.3kg to transport around

solid build quality also

try amazon, hihonor.

also this asus vivobook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-Keyboard-NumberPad-Reversible/dp/B089WB6RF3/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=4500u&qid=1607988441&sr=8-3

could look at the updated version of the Huawei matebook d 14 / magicbook 14 (same laptop just different name) with the amd 4500u

it's a 14 inch screen but the borders are very small so same size as a 13 inch laptop really.

it's light also at 1.3kg to transport around

solid build quality also

try amazon, hihonor.

also this asus vivobook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-Keyboard-NumberPad-Reversible/dp/B089WB6RF3/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=4500u&qid=1607988441&sr=8-3

Thank you. Those are great suggestions and now I finally have some serious concrete material to research. Thanks very much!

Advertisement