Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to improve wood finishing

Options
  • 13-12-2020 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I am very much amateur, but like to create some small pieces from walnut and ash. They are usually flat faced panels.

I’m trying to get a nice professional finish, nice and natural satin type finish, but am lacking the knowledge and experience really.

Most of my research has lead me to using a couple of coats of linseed oil, with beeswax to finish. With regards to sanding in between etc I’m still trying to learn.

I’d love some guidance on the steps I need to take to get a top quality finish, be it from your own experiences, or point me in the direction of books or tutorials (Irish or Uk based)

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Sand the wood with the grain, going up through the grades to 240, then rub it with a damp cloth to raise the grain, let it dry, sand again with 180 then 240, and dampen again, sand with 240, it should now be ready for a finish, and may or may not, need a light sanding with 320 grit before the final coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Sand the wood with the grain, going up through the grades to 240, then rub it with a damp cloth to raise the grain, let it dry, sand again with 180 then 240, and dampen again, sand with 240, it should now be ready for a finish, and may or may not, need a light sanding with 320 grit before the final coat.

Thanks for the advice. When you say going up through the grades, what number would I start on and how many until I get to 240? ( sorry if these are stupid questions) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Start with 120, then 150, 180, 240

Advertisement