Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Holidays?

Options
  • 13-12-2020 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

The holidays, happy holidays, the holiday season!

Slowly slipping into our consciousness, thanks to certain Irish & British media outlets who are consiously dropping Christmas in favour of the ever so American "Holidays" holiday season etc :cool:

I think this is the 1st year where "The Holidays" is beginning to seriously get traction on our airwaves.

Anyone else notice this on some Radio & TV stations? Adverts in particular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What day are we finishing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The people at Budweiser have been wishing you, and yours, the very best this “holiday” season for years. It’s nothing new.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The people at Budweiser have been wishing you, and yours, the very best this “holiday” season for years. It’s nothing new.

That's very true, as has Coca Cola ....

That's obvious, so maybe I'm talking about a bigger issue that involves more than those two!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That's very true, as has Coca Cola ....

That's obvious, so maybe I'm talking about a bigger issue that involves more that those two!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Bollocks to Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's just multiculturalism.

Report for Diversity and Inclusion training OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’ve no problem with anyone wishing me happy holidays. I just don’t know where I’ll be going in July yet, so it’s a bit premature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Bollocks to Christmas.

Chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Slowly slipping into our consciousness, thanks to certain Irish & British media outlets who are consiously dropping Christmas in favour of the ever so American "Holidays" holiday season etc :cool:

I think this is the 1st year where "The Holidays" is beginning to seriously get traction on our airwaves.

Anyone else notice this on some Radio & TV stations? Adverts in particular.

Ireland is turning out more and more like the U.S everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

That new coke ad mentions 'Christmas' a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ireland is turning out more and more like the U.S everyday.

Paddy will lap up any oul Yankee shyte. From pretend country n western cowboys to two Wesht of Ireland villages having a media ding dong battle over who is next POTUS.

Embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,084 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I thought Christmas was cancelled this year?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I thought Christmas was cancelled this year?

It is !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

People want their kids christened and making their communion, they want to celebrate Christmas by doing non-religious things, but they don’t want Christianity.

Can’t have it every which way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think anyone saying these words are looking for a kick in the face, really irritating

Zebra3 wrote: »
    People want their kids christened and making their communion, they want to celebrate Christmas by doing non-religious things, but they don’t want Christianity.

Of course they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I prefer xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Zebra3 wrote: »

Pretty sure they can!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's Christmas.

If you are not Christian then fair enough but don't expect people to rebrand it "the holidays" just to make you more comfortable or more inclusive, it shouldn't matter in any event.

Then again the true ethos of Xmas, mainly peace and good will to all, went away a long, long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I’ve no problem with anyone wishing me happy holidays. I just don’t know where I’ll be going in July yet, so it’s a bit premature.

Destination Unknown.

• Advertisement

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Destination Unknown.

Once it’s not Destination Fúcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

You can have a really good holiday the whole year round, every year, if you stop watching the television stations.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It's Christmas.

If you are not Christian then fair enough but don't expect people to rebrand it "the holidays" just to make you more comfortable or more inclusive, it shouldn't matter in any event.

Then again the true ethos of Xmas, mainly peace and good will to all, went away a long, long time ago.

If you (not you personally) wanted to get all twitter woke outraged about it then the appropriation card could be used.
    Let's be honest if Santa wasn't involved there probably wouldn't be such a big fuss. The idea of someone being born to to save us from his father who is really him doesn't come across as cheery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

It's a winter solstice festival though, so it's very appropriate to a Irish cultural mindset. Christianity has f**k all to do with the origins of the actual festival. The people on this island built the temple of Newgrange 4000 years before this 'christ' lad showed up over in Egypt, so the end of December was always clearly a holiday for us long before some boys came over here and brainwashed us some other story from Egypt to believe and worship instead.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Haaaaaauuuuuuuullllllidays

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Can I wish you all a merry covid christmas, and a happy covid new year. Actually january could be year 1 AC.

Advertisement