Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Surgery worries

Options
  • 13-12-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all
    Im a 46 year old male, non smoker,occasional drinker, very active through gym and cycling. I have been to a consultant at the Blackrock Clinic and have been told that a leaky mitral valve needs to be repaired. I have been looking for a while for any forums etc for advice on pre and post surgery and recovery details. Anyone out there of a similar age been through surgery like this? Im convinced that keeping up my fitness levels will help also in terms of recovery. Is there any long lasting side effects?Feel free to PM .
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

daludo wrote: »
    Hi all
    Im a 46 year old male, non smoker,occasional drinker, very active through gym and cycling. I have been to a consultant at the Blackrock Clinic and have been told that a leaky mitral valve needs to be repaired. I have been looking for a while for any forums etc for advice on pre and post surgery and recovery details. Anyone out there of a similar age been through surgery like this? Im convinced that keeping up my fitness levels will help also in terms of recovery. Is there any long lasting side effects?Feel free to PM .
    Thanks

I can’t help you with your particular situation but I can guide you to a very good resource for information and support in everything to do with heart failure. The Irish Heart Foundation have a Facebook page called Heart Support Network and there’s great support there. It’s a private group but you can ask to join. No doubt someone on there will be able to help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

daludo wrote: »
    Hi all
    Thanks

Hi Daludo, I had heart attack aged 50, passed out in the gym. Similar to yourself, non-smoker and occasional drinker. Cardiologist said I was just unlucky. Had a couple of stents inserted but there were concerns about serial blockages on other side of heart. That meant heart bypass, so similar surgery to what you will have. At least you won't have wounds on arm and leg for grafts.
    It's a scary thought, and it wasn't clear to me how long I had to wait for the surgery. From what I have read, heart surgery is in general very successful surgery. I have an uncle who is still on the go, almost 45 years after his first bypass (no stents then).

I have found some useful, more heart-specific chat on https://www.inspire.com
    Irish Heart Foundation is useful, also British Heart Foundation.

For me, chest healed up well. I do have scarring and keloids. Tried Bio Oil, Scaraway with limited success. Vitamin E cream was best for me. I was back climbing trees to do some pruning within a year, and splitting logs with an axe.
    It does get better and when you have had surgery, you should feel the difference pretty soon. Take time to recover. Do the daily walk, enjoy the small things and you will get there.

By the way, if you have a mortgage, check your life policy as some policies will pay out remainder of mortgage for specific conditions. My own policy included heart attack, stents and bypass surgery, so I covered all 3, and that meant the mortgage was cleared 7 years early.

Advertisement