Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Vortex 50-90 System drain

Options
  • 13-12-2020 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi. Looking for advise how to drain a Grant Vortex boiler, I need to add some Fornex to the system.
    When I open the drain tap, I am getting a very slow flow.
    Any suggestion to increasing the drain flow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Biker1

Open a bleeder screw in a radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tiger31

Thanks Biker1, sounds like an easy resolve.

Just rethinking Biker1's suggestion, would the header drain out through the radiator bleeder instead of the boiler drain?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Are you putting Fernox cleaner or inhibitor in it?
    If you have an open system and it's slow to drain, it might indicate that it's clogged up and in need of a proper cleaning.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Are you putting Fernox cleaner or inhibitor in it?
    If you have an open system and it's slow to drain, it might indicate that it's clogged up and in need of a proper cleaning.

It's an open system

Fernox F4 leak sealer for an immersion tank drip.

The little water that drains is clear, but I do have original gun barrel section, downstairs in 2 rooms, but all rads heat up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Opening a rad air bleed shouldn't make any difference to draining speed in an open system. It should fly out, unless valve is not opening properly, or a blockage somewhere. Any zone valves> If there are, manually open them when draining.

I am assuming that the leak/drip is on the heating circuit part of the cylinder?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Opening a rad air bleed shouldn't make any difference to draining speed in an open system. It should fly out, unless valve is not opening properly, or a blockage somewhere. Any zone valves> If there are, manually open them when draining.

I am assuming that the leak/drip is on the heating circuit part of the cylinder?

No zone valves, drip is on the boiler supply into the immersion. I'll go checking for a blockage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

as its an open system i assume you have the ballcock tied up in the small tank in attic

jimf wrote: »
    as its an open system i assume you have the ballcock tied up in the small tank in attic

Yes Jimf, its an open system, with attic tank supply isolated

Advertisement