Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody here use Revolut for absolutely everything including salary?

Options
  • 13-12-2020 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I just checked my ulster bank fees and found that I've been charged to the tune of 100 euro this year. It's not a huge amount but I still don't like it.

I use revolut daily. I put some cash into it at the start of the month and use that for day to day stuff. Buying my milk & bread etc. and online shopping. Most of the cash stays in ulster bank for saving & bills.

I was thinking of just moving everything over to Revolut. Direct debits for bills, my salary, standing order for rent etc etc. and just shutting down my ulster bank accounts including the savings account. I get feckall interest anyway.

I'm aware there will be no possibility to lodge physical cash or cheques. But I literally can't think of the last time I had to do that. In fact I can't remember the last time I even touched a note of cash. Maybe sometime around the start of this year.

Have any of you moved everything over to revolut? What are the pros / cons? Do revolut direct debits work with Irish companies like electric ireland etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes. It's a pain in the ass transferring all the direct debits, I didn't even know what some of them were, but I'm glad I don't give any money to Irish banks any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

When they are granted an Irish banking licence I will move 99% over, I'll keep the ulster Bank account for the ticketmaster discount though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Revolut treat their staff like absolute crap though. That alone is enough for me to give them a wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

There's also the option of N26 - same kind of offering as revolut. I switched to them from BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Be careful what you wish for. Digitalization of the banking further emphasizes the disconnect between you and your money. I might move further away from Revolut tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just FYI if you have big sums in Revolut etc, they aren't covered under the Governments 100k credit guarantee scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I use it to keep my poker transactions off the credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes. It's a pain in the ass transferring all the direct debits, I didn't even know what some of them were, but I'm glad I don't give any money to Irish banks any more.
    That's the spirit! I don't think we should do give our custom to any Irish business ever again. Because Irish businesses suck and British are just so much better. And their queen is so much better than our president - she even has her own show on Netflix!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I just checked my ulster bank fees and found that I've been charged to the tune of 100 euro this year. It's not a huge amount but I still don't like it.

In the same boat with Ulster Bank with charges of about 20 quid per quarter. So went scouting around to switch accounts and found that EBS are now the only free banking left in Ireland, they have no monthly fees and dont charge for all the day to day stuff other banks do. Im switching over to them at the moment as I dont want everything on Revelout. AIB and BOI both put up their banking fees lately too.

I found this page excellent for comparing bank accounts, youd be all day doing it on each banks website. EBS comes out the clear winner out of all of them
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money-tools/current-account-comparison/?gclid=CjwKCAiAlNf-BRB_EiwA2osbxYIuZsAWK6PrWtTQcJoPf31zFNQaqdowl1A71KqrXufW0Cutx3tBIxoCdxwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Revolut aren't a bank. Your money isn't guaranteed. In fact it's not even money, it's more like credit on a prepay phone.

N26 is a bank. Your money is guaranteed and it's also free.

KBC is also free for now if you deposit €2500 every month.

EBS are free but the website is a little limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

dotsman wrote: »
    That's the spirit! I don't think we should do give our custom to any Irish business ever again. Because Irish businesses suck and British are just so much better. And their queen is so much better than our president - she even has her own show on Netflix!

Uuuuuooooh! so edgy we're all cut...

You know there's only 1 Irish Bank right? AIB (government owend) the rest are foreign banks just trading under names that sometimes has Ireland in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

GarIT wrote: »
    Revolut aren't a bank. Your money isn't guaranteed. In fact it's not even money, it's more like credit on a prepay phone.

N26 is a bank. Your money is guaranteed and it's also free.

KBC is also free for now if you deposit €2500 every month.

EBS are free but the website is a little limited.

KBC deposit requirement is now €2000. I've paid zero fees since I switched to them a little over 3 years ago.

KBC deposit requirement is now €2000. I've paid zero fees since I switched to them a little over 3 years ago.

They have said a while ago that fees will be reviewed and they will probably follow the other banks. Maybe after COVID

Advertisement