Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird question about home electricity....

Options
  • 13-12-2020 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Sorry in advance for how stupid my question is but, I have a transformer for a light I don't even use (i'm in a rented house). the light switch it off but the transformer seems over heating 24/h (well maybe not overheated but still)

would that be a wast of electricity and would I better disconnect it ?

20201213-T124015.jpg
    IMG-4023.jpg

still heat related I'm curious with my fuse box
    Am'I right to think that this is just for 12v ? probably my doorbell which is not working? but if so why this is generating that many heat compare to everything else?

20201213-T124133.jpg
    20201213-T124146.jpg
    IMG-4013.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Both of those are power supplies with active electronics.
    They're probably not pulling much power, unless there's some other load on them, but they would probably be a few degrees hotter than ambient temperature. Dunno why the second one is 30 degrees. That's a bit worrying. Maybe it's just inefficient.

When you say "compared to everything else", the everything else is passive electronics, MCBs, which shouldn't heat up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    They're probably not pulling much power, unless there's some other load on them, but they would probably be a few degrees hotter than ambient temperature. Dunno why the second one is 30 degrees. That's a bit worrying. Maybe it's just inefficient.

When you say "compared to everything else", the everything else is passive electronics, MCBs, which shouldn't heat up at all.

Thank for your reply,
    The transformer is 25c, while it's 9c around but. I realised that just the led on the heating timer is around 18c, so I just leave it connected and ignore it.

Thank again you for the clarification.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Padre_Pio wrote: »

There are no electronics whatsoever in the door bell transformer. It’s a passive device.

It would be normal for a transformer to generate some heat even under no load conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Ah hello 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd be more concerned that the LED transformer appears to be un-fused and not isolatable (no input switch).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Can't remember the exact details now but I had to remove the doorbell light from a relations doorbell as the traffo was almost too hot to touch, cant remember but I think the circuit was closed all the time?? and the bell may not have been working but removing the bulb solved the heating issue at any rate + doorbell working fine for the past 4 years.

Advertisement