Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone FTTH is a disaster.

Options
  • 13-12-2020 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Signed up to Eir FTTH last year on the 150MB package and it worked perfectly all the time, contract was up so signed up to VF on a black Friday offer but it's a disaster.

Best speed test I was getting first day was 250MB on the 1 Gig package but now it down to 50......:mad:

Tried customer service and they are a waste of time... Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,691 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Truckermal wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Signed up to Eir FTTH last year on the 150MB package and it worked perfectly all the time, contract was up so signed up to VF on a black Friday offer but it's a disaster.

Best speed test I was getting first day was 250MB on the 1 Gig package but now it down to 50......:mad:

Tried customer service and they are a waste of time... Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Over wireless or wired ? Wireless speed tests aren’t an indication of the speed being delivered .

Also if you want the highest wireless speeds you’ll need a separate 5ghz wireless network and connect to that but it won’t penetrate as far .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

The first step is to do some speedtests using a modern PC plugged in using Ethernet cable to confirm your connection is okay. Wireless speeds are susceptible to local interference (and the ISP is not at all responsible here). If this is the case you'll need to make a few changes to get the best of your WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Only getting 50 MB using speed test on the phone, was getting 150 when I was with eir.

I have tried the Laptop now using a wired connection and it's the same..

Only getting 50 MB using speed test on the phone, was getting 150 when I was with eir.

Did you disable wireless on the router so that there is nothing else connected?

Is the WiFi disabled on the laptop ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Another user had a similar experience.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058089218

Two users a pattern does not make but it makes you wonder.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Is the WiFi disabled on the laptop ?

Yep done that too but now I've nothing at all!

Yep done that too but now I've nothing at all!

Then you are testing over wireless and your Ethernet is not working for your test! Try a different cable or another laptop. Double check your Ethernet adapter isn't disabled in network connections

ED E wrote: »
    Another user had a similar experience.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058089218

Two users a pattern does not make but it makes you wonder.

Dunno I’ve had ftth with sky eir and Vodafone never an issue with any of them, I use my own router and access points though.

Then you are testing over wireless and your Ethernet is not working for your test! Try a different cable or another laptop. Double check your Ethernet adapter isn't disabled in network connections

Yep after doing that with another Laptop and it's the same allthough I'm getting a better speed on the wired connection but still nothing like what it should be....

• Advertisement

Yep after doing that with another Laptop and it's the same allthough I'm getting a better speed on the wired connection but still nothing like what it should be....

Post the result. Does the laptop you are testing with have a gigabit Ethernet port and is it capable of faster speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

my siro gigabit can give 300-350 wifi on a firestick and on a phone. laptop on wifi can get 500+ and wired gets the 950.

Is it eir FTTH through VF you are getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jcmg73

I'm having same trouble with puretelecom. I'm on the 500/50 package.
    Best speed I have gotten do far is 50mbps on2.4 wifi and 120 on 5g wifi.
    I hooked up my laptop to router this morning via a cat6 cable and did another test
    With everything turned off including wifi do only device on the network was the laptop which was showing a 1.0gb connection
    Press start and away she goes all the way up too 26mbps down and 43mbps up

That's slower than average 2.4 wifi
    Been on the phone all week with them trying to get answers but they can't give me any.
    I have even managed to hook directly to the ont via cat6 and accessed the internet with out a router as my laptop network card can be configured to do so and on a 1.0gb link can only get 28mbps
    Something really strange going on. I'm still within my 14 day cooling off so will see what happens next werk

These are pics of laptop connected to 1.0gb link

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ughhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

... no problems with FTTH from VF here

Are u guys using your own routers or the ones that you got off providers

jcmg73 wrote: »

Personally I have my ont connected directly to a unifi dream machine pro with access points around the house

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

I use VF's Gigabox .... works grand for my wired network part.
    For the wireless I use a not too expensive mesh network setup (Tenda Nova MW6) and that provides the full bandwidth each device's wireless setup can handle and extends all over the property and garden (3 units in the mesh) ...

Just as info ... I have SIRO as FTTH - not EIR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

I got pure the other day.

I'm only getting 250-350 Mbits on my own router but 500 solidly on the fritzbox they sent me.
    Supposed to be a jiggabits so either way something's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I got pure the other day.

I'm only getting 250-350 Mbits on my own router but 500 solidly on the fritzbox they sent me.
    Supposed to be a jiggabits so either way something's wrong.
    My pure gig is solid on the Fritz. Using my own router doesn't give the speed.

FFS, talk about ruining the person's support thread

Check out my Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6828439349

VF fobbing me off about line tests etc etc. Amazing I was getting 150 consistently last week...

Check out my Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6828439349

VF fobbing me off about line tests etc etc. Amazing I was getting 150 consistently last week...

thats a wireless speed test right? is it on a 2.4ghz band or 5ghz and what channels are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The physical network, cables in the ground are owned by eir so they should all be the same. I’m on Vodafone to and since the covid hit it’s been poor to average. On the other hand eir customer service is awful worse than Vodafone. Could be there’s more people on Vodafone working from home. But that doesn’t explain the low speeds in comparison.

Add a 5 g signal to your WiFi router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

The physical network, cables in the ground are owned by eir so they should all be the same.
    It is not really though.
    Last mile is the same ( FTTH connection from your house to the exchange) , what happens after could be very different.Vodafone could use cheap ,third party connections to bring traffic from the exchange ( interconnect) and those routes could be congested to the last.
    Eir would use OpenEir's network from the tip to toe and that could make some difference.

Yep that's on 5g now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

alec76 wrote: »
    It is not really though.
    Last mile is the same ( FTTH connection from your house to the exchange) , what happens after could be very different.Vodafone could use cheap ,third party connections to bring traffic from the exchange ( interconnect) and those routes could be congested to the last.
    Eir would use OpenEir's network from the tip to toe and that could make some difference.

Vodafone hire eir to to do the physical work, it’s the same stuff.

Yep that's on 5g now!

there is something seriously wrong there, but ideally youd have someone with some networking knowledge look at the set up and equipment as id assume the issue is more likely inside the house rather than the connection.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    there is something seriously wrong there, but ideally youd have someone with some networking knowledge look at the set up and equipment as id assume the issue is more likely inside the house rather than the connection.

Same setup as last time with router in same place etc etc..

Advertisement