Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this racist?

Options
  • 13-12-2020 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

I was speaking to someone last night over a few drinks and she said she would never have or consider any kind of sexual encounter with a black man ever, she said she finds them very unattractive physically and it has nothing to do race or discrimination. Is saying something like this racist? I was a bit taken aback by it I’ll admit, particularly as in my eyes there are some stunning black women and I would say it’s across the board in all races that there are beautiful women. But what if it is just her personal preference or taste that she is not at all attracted to black men.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I was speaking to someone last night over a few drinks and she said she would never have or consider any kind of sexual encounter with a black man ever, she said she finds them very unattractive physically and it has nothing to do race or discrimination. Is saying something like this racist? I was a bit taken aback by it I’ll admit, particularly as in my eyes there are some stunning black women and I would say it’s across the board in all races that there are beautiful women. But what if it is just her personal preference or taste that she is not at all attracted to black men.

You are attracted to what you are attracted to. Thinking it is fine, saying it is becoming more and more of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

She should be forced to have sex with a black man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Is it racist to assume the woman in question is white?

Hmmmm

JeffKenna wrote: »

Really, Jeff? She should be raped?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you have to ask if it's racist, it's probably racist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

You are attracted to what you are attracted to. Thinking it is fine, saying it is becoming more and more of an issue.

Yeah I suppose, but in her defence she didn’t just bring it up, after restrictions were lifted her friend was set up on a blind date and the guy was black and she did not know this and was not told in advance so the discussion was around this initially. The date was a disaster as apparently he was just pushing for sex for most of the night and took it as a given that this was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It isn’t racist, she just has a “type”. Had she stated that she’s only attracted to black guys because she finds white ones unattractive you wouldn’t have raised an eye brow.

Edit: just saw your second post and got to say that this changes things significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Hamachi

JeffKenna wrote: »

Aren’t you delightful..

I was speaking to someone last night over a few drinks and she said she would never have or consider any kind of sexual encounter with a black man ever, she said she finds them very unattractive physically and it has nothing to do race or discrimination. Is saying something like this racist? .....But what if it is just her personal preference or taste that she is not at all attracted to black men.

Yes, it’s racist. Totally defend her right to decide who she wants to be with, but her reason in this case is absolutely racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

If you are a straight man and say another man isn't attractive and you won't go out with him, does that make you homophobic ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It’s not racist. It’s a personal presence, to which the girl is totally entitled. I’m sure she assumed she was speaking to a trusted circle of friends and didn’t anticipate that her comment would become a topic of online discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

drogon. wrote: »
    If you are a straight man and say another man isn't attractive and you won't go out with him, does that make you homophobic ?

Just give me a chance, I tend to grow on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Well first of all, how dare they assume the race and gender of a black man *head explodes*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

This didn't start well and I can't see it improving much based off the comments so far

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement