Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are any flights making a profit?

Options
  • 13-12-2020 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Last flight for me was 1st July 2020, Frankfurt-Dublin €40 with reserved seat (2F), 40 people on board.

So I'm thinking every flight that take off is costing the airline money, would I be right?

And if I'm right, or 1/2 right, why do they keep flying?

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭obi604

Are you sure it was seat 2F?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Friend flew Ryanair to Portugal recently. €12.50 fare and no more than 40 fellow passengers! Yet share price has doubled in last 6 months??? It doesn't make sense to me, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

obi604 wrote: »
    Are you sure it was seat 2F?

:)

When I pay MOL for a reserved seat I remember! And just booked a few days ahead, base price was €20. ( Enter, turn right, 1st row on left, window seat=2F)

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I was researching this recently, and came across a page suggesting USD $2000 per flying hour is a typical running cost for a 737-800.

https://www.opshots.net/2015/04/aircraft-operating-series-aircraft-operating-expenses/

That may be complete rubbish, I don't know – but if it's true, then the answer to your question is no :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bikeman1

dohouch wrote: »
    When I pay MOL for a reserved seat I remember! And just booked a few days ahead, base price was €20. ( Enter, turn right, 1st row on left, window seat=2F)

I think most of us on here know where 2F is on a Ryanair. Where you sat is irrelevant to the question being asked!

No, they are not making any money on those flights and are losing money. But some flights are doing ok. What they are doing is making less of a loss than they would if they didn’t fly at all. Cash flow is key in a business. Also they have crews to keep current and aircraft to keep ticking over, so when demand returns they are ready to take your hard earned money off you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If the flight flew then they don’t need to issue refunds. It’s quite possible that there are many who booked the flight 9 months ago and didn’t travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Anything that can carry cargo in it's holds instead of pax bags is making money. The demand to shift cargo has soared and in a lot of cases, the cargo has paid for the flight before it has left the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ted1 wrote: »
    If the flight flew then they don’t need to issue refunds. It’s quite possible that there are many who booked the flight 9 months ago and didn’t travel

Possibly the case over the summer and Christmas but I’d say that won’t be the case in the new year

the return flight back to Frankfurt would have had more people on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

FR don't do cargo...

• Advertisement
Advertisement