Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right terminology for this issue when calling plumber

Options
  • 12-12-2020 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

536011.jpeg

Sorry for the novice question but somehow luckily enough I’ve never had to call a plumber before. Moved into new build 3 story 2 years ago with this water pump. It does the usual noise when starting etc but we don’t really pass much remarks on this now.

But tonight we noticed a new “clicking” noise as the pressure drops down to about 2” can feel it too. I assume some sort of valve is gone? Asked the neighbors but turns out they all had different pumps installed or swapped in on moving in due to issues that we didn’t have.

Going to try a few plumbers on Monday, but would appreciate any assistance on the correct terminology to use, as a woman i find it helps me not get the run around.....no offence intended

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

polydactyl wrote: »
    536011.jpeg

Sorry for the novice question but somehow luckily enough I’ve never had to call a plumber before. Moved into new build 3 story 2 years ago with this water pump. It does the usual noise when starting etc but we don’t really pass much remarks on this now.

But tonight we noticed a new “clicking” noise as the pressure drops down to about 2” can feel it too. I assume some sort of valve is gone? Asked the neighbors but turns out they all had different pumps installed or swapped in on moving in due to issues that we didn’t have.

Going to try a few plumbers on Monday, but would appreciate any assistance on the correct terminology to use, as a woman i find it helps me not get the run around.....no offence intended
    What make of pump is it . If it's a stuart Turner you may be able to get it repaired over in ballymount. Don't bother pulling the pump apart yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

What make of pump is it . If it's a stuart Turner you may be able to get it repaired over in ballymount

It’s a Wilo brand I think. I literally know nothing so will have to call a plumber. Just what everyone needs coming up to Christmas...unexpected expense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just be honest with the plumber and tell him/her what you've told us here about the clicking noise.

Any decent tradesperson won't take the hand with you and should be able to ascertain the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

polydactyl wrote: »
    536011.jpeg

That power switch on the wall next to it, should be on no?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

I turned it off last night when we were going to bed to stop the clicking. We still get enough water upstairs for taps with it off. Only need it on for showers etc. Figured if something was about to “go” then using it less was a good idea. Some of our neighbors always have it off except when ppl need showers as water pump noise can annoy people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭embracingLife

Don't bother with plumbers, instead google "water pump repairs+whatever part of country live" and contact the pump repair crowds that come up.
    In general plumbers don't know/don't care about water pumps and generally tell people to "buy new pump"!
    So the people who repair pumps know these pumps inside out and virtually all will come to your house and fix pump etc.

Also its a bit slack that for a 2 year old house you getting pump problems! Give your solicitor a ring and ask them advice on this.
    Your neighbours say they got problems with their pumps since they moved in too? Mad, Ted!

If I were u and your neighbours I'd be giving builder/developer a piece of my mind, still its odd that problem is in pump after only 2 years- but it can happen- bigger problem could water pressure/ air locks/ sloppy pipe design in house god-knows-what.

Btw re your original point- tell them you hear clicking in pump- its common problem-dunno exact reason but describe it as you have here, the pump man will know whats going on- no need to think you embarrassing yourself.

Advertisement