Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to lay sticks for concrete

Options
  • 12-12-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Want to concrete a small driveway to a garage I have built. I have 6 x 3 timbers which I can use on the borders. What's the best way to make sure these don't fall over when concrete is going in? As in how should I attach them to the ground? Floor underneath is old road planingscwhich I got a few loads of a few years ago so is very firm and hard to hit anything into?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

It's usually steel bar cut into short lengths hammered into ground upright against outside of timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Often done with 10mm rebar cut into lengths and hammered in behind the timber with bent nail used to hold the timber up to the rebar.

^^^^^^ One minute too late.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

You need to decide the thickness/depth of the concrete slab, first. That determines the thickness of the side shutters/side timbers. Is there anything to the side of the proposed slab that you can strut from. Alternatively you could use steel pins/steel reinforcing offcuts to hold the timbers in place.
    Im sure there are a lot of other ways to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Thinking something like iron/steel rods would need to be inserted on the outside to stop it falling over if you cant hammer in wooden batons.
    Drive way is wider than a car so a plank across the top with battons underneath might be a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Cut steaks out of scrap 2x1 or 3x2, drive them in with a sledge and screw the forms into them. Trim off the excess, so you can tamp down the concrete with a long board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

mengele wrote: »
    Want to concrete a small driveway to a garage I have built. I have 6 x 3 timbers which I can use on the borders. What's the best way to make sure these don't fall over when concrete is going in? As in how should I attach them to the ground? Floor underneath is old road planingscwhich I got a few loads of a few years ago so is very firm and hard to hit anything into?

Electricians use an attachment to kango drills to drive earth rods into the ground. You could talk to a local plant hire firm and see if it will fit rebar and if you could hire one

Advertisement