Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE needs to be scrapped

Options
  • 12-12-2020 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I just glanced at the screen and there was horsesh1t on

We don't even need it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Henry, try keeping your horses away from the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Henryq. wrote: »
    I just glanced at the screen and there was horsesh1t on

We don't even need it

You should call in to them & clean it up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Boards poster calls for censorship. Quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

Just had to pay 160e there for something I never watch. They should leave rte 1 and tg4 and get rid of the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just remove the licence funded bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Sounds like one of the trolls on Facebook. No matter what RTE News post, the trolls arrive and start complaining about fake news, Brit lovers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Rte covers sport,current affairs , art, music, culture , politics,
    etc the bbc is good ,but we need our own local voice.
    i look at tv, 85 per cent of the programs i do not like, eg soap opera, sport,gaa, news, chatshows , but i think there are so good programs on rte,
    I prefer to get my news from the web.
    of course when theres 100s of tv channels on cable i can see some people will say why spend millions on rte .
    rte also runs a few good radio stations .
    theres still people in rural area,s who just have, rte,itv, bbc using over the air aerials,
    Not everyone can afford a sky tv subscription.
    i do not see the need for tg4 its a mixture of programs in irish and older programs from america in english.
    i think in 2020 theres no need for a irish language tv station .
    most of the programs on bbc or itv i would not ever watch.
    everyone has different taste.
    some people never watch soap opera,s or tv talent shows or sport on tv.
    imagine just relying on bbc tv to cover irish rugby or soccer matchs,
    or any irish sporting event.
    thats not a good outcome .
    And sometimes rte makes some good drama,s and documentarys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

This thread is unexpected. Is it early or is it that time of the week already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

riclad wrote: »
    i do not see the need for tg4 its a mixture of programs in irish and older programs from america in english.
    i think in 2020 theres no need for a irish language tv station ..

What? Tg4 is probably one of the best things from rte. They had spanish soccer before sky came in and snapped it up. Some of the best documentaries on irish history are on it. And all the Gaa and rugby coverage? And that's before the irish language stuff they do which is not commercially viable. Tg4 is about the only reason I can stomach paying the tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They should rebrand it to be a wrestling channel, RTW, get the presenters and Fair City actors to face-off in the ring, in individual matches. The main event will be Friday Nights, The Late Late Fight, where El Tubridy faces off several celebrity guests to be the Last Man Standing. I would pay good money to watch that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

This thread is unexpected. Is it early or is it that time of the week already?

He'll probably start one tomorrow giving out about the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

They should rebrand it to be a wrestling channel, RTW, get the presenters and Fair City actors to face-off in the ring, in individual matches. The main event will be Friday Nights, The Late Late Fight, where El Tubridy faces off several celebrity guests to be the Last Man Standing. I would pay good money to watch that.

Could we have Foxy Boxing as Gaelige ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Tg4 is the best channel we have. By far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Could we have Foxy Boxing as Gaelige ?

Dornálaíocht na sionnaigh - BEO.

That could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Rte 2 and 2fm should be scrapped...

And cull Ryan Tubridy

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Get rid of half the employees and encourage the remaining half to try harder. The wages they are paying some of the presenters is grossly disproportionate to the end product and the quantity of audience that RTE actually reaches.

There should be a national TV channel. Its important for our identity. But if it was a private entity it would have been bust many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ray Darcy should be drowned in his own piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Your Face wrote: »
    Ray Darcy should be drowned in his own piss.

Start with Joe Duffy. He's cost the state literally millions over the last 20 yrs. Seriously that's just ****ed up. Any other country in the world the guy would probably earn a fraction of that as a presenter. If they'd even have him.

Rte 2 and 2fm should be scrapped...
    No, they should be sold to the higher bidder as there is a value in their existing place on the EPG. That has a monetary worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Start with Joe Duffy. He's cost the state literally millions over the last 20 yrs. Seriously that's just ****ed up. Any other country in the world the guy would probably earn a fraction of that as a presenter. If they'd even have him.

It's a disgrace Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tg4 is the best channel we have. By far.
    It's like the curates egg because it doesn't go for the lowest common denominator. Very like Channel 4 in that regard.

If there is nothing on RTE or the main UK channels then it's always worth checking out TG4.

Can't wait for it to go HD :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

**** your Honda civic I've a horse **** tv

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not scrapped, stripped down to just news, current affairs, cultural, documentaries and a small stable of quality home produced shows. There's heaps of outlets already for fluff and US and UK produced shows.

Cut salaries of its "stars" to reasonable levels, if they don't like it, they can fcuk off to the uk or wherever. (They'll soon find out they're not top talent outside of the Irish fishbowl)

Start marketing the back catalogue that never sees the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It's like the curates egg because it doesn't go for the lowest common denominator. Very like Channel 4 in that regard.

If there is nothing on RTE or the main UK channels then it's always worth checking out TG4.

Can't wait for it to go HD :mad:

It is hd! Just for some reason its SD on saorview... bothers me more than it should. You have to have a sky etc sub for HD tg4 which isn't right. Honestly I have thought about sending off emails complaining about it but don't know where to start

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It is hd! Just for some reason its SD on saorview... bothers me more than it should. You have to have a sky etc sub for HD tg4 which isn't right. Honestly I have thought about sending off emails complaining about it but don't know where to start

Scéal, mo chara,

Ba mhaith liom TG4 i HD ar Saroview.

Tóg é go bóg é,

reoitereoite

• Registered Users Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That some reason is money. They won't pay the people who provide the transmitters the fee for HD. This is from about three years ago on another thread, no progress since then it seems.

A chara
    Our discussions with Saorview regarding HD carriage are ongoing. You will appreciate that these are commercial negotiations and that the "availability" of any service is subject to mutually acceptable terms for the parties involved.

I cannot, at this stage surmise when our negotiations might conclude but it is our wish too that we have HD versions of our service available on all platforms, including Saorview.

Le meas

Pádhraic Ó Ciardha
    TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Flicked on RTE1 Friday night to see Tubridy doing a "Country music special" - a whole show devoted to such luminaries as Philomena Begley and Nathan Carter.

Tubridy is a lot like Trump. He knew there was a receptive audience out there for this shíte and by God is he going to serve it up to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

Stuff like 'Finding Joy' would make you wonder! And if that one was really a good actress she should be getting stuff over seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

But op where would you get a show with the quality of the late late show country music special?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

RTE is sitting on some of the most valuable and sought after land in the country.
    Why don't they sell up and start again in a green-field site, but scale down their operation.
    Put the extra money in the bank and use it to run the place, and stop going begging to the govt all the time.

Advertisement