Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending lights

Options
  • 12-12-2020 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Got a set of Xmas lights. Was just wondering if its ok to extend the cable on the DC side, instead of trying to waterproof outdoor sockets etc. i.e. cut cable after plug and use 2 IP67 junction boxes to extend about 10 metres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

gutteruu wrote: »
    Got a set of Xmas lights. Was just wondering if its ok to extend the cable on the DC side, instead of trying to waterproof outdoor sockets etc. i.e. cut cable after plug and use 2 IP67 junction boxes to extend about 10 metres.

Depends on the max load of the transformer you are plugging them into and the power consumption of the lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

gutteruu wrote: »

I wouldn’t really see any issue with that. Adding the extra length of cable will increase volt drop on the circuit, so go for a decent size cable to mitigate against this - I presume they are LED fairy lights type thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

rob w wrote: »
    Depends on the max load of the transformer you are plugging them into and the power consumption of the lights!

Oh, I read that wrong. Thought you were looking to link lights together, never mind my post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Thanks folks. Yes, I'll use 1.5.

Advertisement