Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very quick question - suggestions for decent 8 port switch?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

That will give you seven additional wired connections as one will be used to connect to your router.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats a "Managed" switch but really the management features are kinda useless. I'd just get a dumb switch. Netgear have one, or the TP TL-SG108 is solid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I went with the one I linked to it was only a fiver more expensive than the unmanaged one I had on my list. I've a desktop full of TP-Link stuff and decided to try something different. The only thing I'm hoping the management can do is let me know how the speed on each port. I searched online and no one seemed to do an actual review based on the speed of a switch under load.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I went with the one I linked to it was only a fiver more expensive than the unmanaged one I had on my list. I've a desktop full of TP-Link stuff and decided to try something different. The only thing I'm hoping the management can do is let me know how the speed on each port. I searched online and no one seemed to do an actual review based on the speed of a switch under load.

1G switching is so easy you should never reach "the limit".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm in the same boat. Whats the benefit of getting the managed one?

I currently have 8 CAT6A ports around my house, all going back to under the stairs to this unmanaged patch panel, and then on to my wifi router.

However my router only has the 4 LAN ports so I need something in between, especially with a smart hub, ethernet plugs, and a raspberry pi.

I'd rather something with as little hassle as possible, ie unmanaged with little to go wrong, however, if there's benefits to having a managed one, then maybe it would be worth it. Also, are the ones linked avoid compatible with CAT6A?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'd rather something with as little hassle as possible, ie unmanaged with little to go wrong, however, if there's benefits to having a managed one, then maybe it would be worth it. Also, are the ones linked avoid compatible with CAT6A?
    Unmanaged -> plug and forget for next 10+years*
    Managed -> "I wonder, what this thing would do..." and this where things can go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Just plugged the Netgear GS308E in and playing around with it and it has minimum features as expected but they are useful.

Apart from being able to see what speeds the ports are connected at the VLAN feature might come in useful.

Basically plug in. The Switch gets a DHCP address from the router and you can look to see what that address is on the router management interface then just dump that IP address into your browser and you can connect to see whats going on on the Switch and start messing things up :)

...... . The Switch gets a DHCP address from the router .......
    its recommended to have this type of device on static IP (+ reservation on router)
    ...........you can connect to see whats going on on the Switch and start messing things up :)
    enjoy

its recommended to have this type of device on static IP (+ reservation on router)
    enjoy

Two separate concepts there, static IP and reservation on router are different ways to keep the same IP on a device - but I know what you mean :)

• Advertisement

Two separate concepts there, static IP and reservation on router are different ways to keep the same IP on a device - but I know what you mean :)

Combination of both reduce error possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

The only choices that I would consider making is unmanaged or else unmanaged with PoE.

PoE may be useful especially if you ever considered adding IP cameras to you house

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

i like NetGear,
    I've got two GS305 and a GS308 fitted in my attic, all gigabit unmanaged switches with metal casings which helps with heat,
    one for each bedroom upstairs fed independently from the router in the living room,
    makes it easy to disable a room from downstairs at the rear of the router,

pmFRTMi4j

I've another GS308 in the living room for the television and equipment, the entire setup is in operation around three years now with no issues atall. fitted pre-terminated cat7 cables throughout and upgrade or reinstalled the entire virgin media fit with Belden 1694A RG6.

poZUUYcVj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Apologies for dragging up an old thread…..I’m thinking of putting network points to 7 rooms around the house, the source of the signal being the 360MB virgin media box/connection that we have beside the TV…..however reading the above post and looking at the pictures it looks insanely complicated and is putting me off the whole project.

I was just going to buy a ten port switch which I would place and power in the attic then run a cat 6e cable to it from the virgin box at the tv/living room and then run cat 6e cable from the switch box in the attic to all the other locations…..the labour intensive bit being the routing of the cables……however what I see above is way more complex and ‘computer/tech nerdish’ than I ever had envisaged😡😡. Am I interpreting things correctly is there a simpler way than the above…?

No its not that complicated. Firstly there is no need for any configuration. Secondly all you are doing is plugging a few things together.

You just need one link from your router (one of the LAN ports) to the new switch then all the ports in the new switch act like they are ports on the router. You can still use any spare ports on your router.

How you run the cable between the router and the new switch and how you run the cables from your new switch to your devices is up to you and will probably be the most time consuming part of the job.

Edit> Cat is a nice to have but humble Cat5 will still run at Gigabit speeds so don't get hung up on the cabling and termination. If you are running cables through walls then it obviously makes more sense to use the newer standard but isn't vital. If you think you need 10 ports then you might as well go to 16 its amazing how you find new things to add to the network. On cabling the only thing I check is the cable is pure copper and not cheaper Copper Covered Aluminium.

Advertisement