Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler/hob not working after fill

Options
  • 12-12-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Hi - I moved in to a new house last week, which uses calor gas for the heating/hot water/hob - I've never had a home gas tank before so pretty clueless.

When I moved in I tried the hob and boiler and both worked ok.
    I checked the tank outside and the gauge was reading below empty, so I ordered a fill. The tank was filled yesterday by calor.

Now however it appears there is no gas coming in. The hob doesn't work, and the boiler is throwing an error. It's a Baxi 400 and the error is below:
    E.04 - .10
    Failure to light (could be gas supply issue).
    Check that the gas supply is available. If possible try lighting a gas cooker or fire.

I went out to take a look at the tank, I could see the main valve (yellow handle) and it appears to be open fine (in line with the direction of the pipe) - there is a second similar valve just inside where the pipe enters the property - this was turned a little so I moved it all the way back, in the 'on' direction written on the handle.

The top of the tank had two knobs with open/close on them - I stupidly tried turning these to see if maybe the delivery guy had forgotten to do something - I realise now that it was stupid to go at these when I don't know what I'm doing - but I did.
    The photo should show the UPSO pin thing - I tried this too after googling but I haven't been able to get anything working.

Can anyone advise if there is anything I can do to get it working again? :( Thanks.

Photos:
    https://ibb.co/tKQqGqk
    https://ibb.co/KV9WH4z
    https://ibb.co/2vDNtFD
    https://ibb.co/RQjGYM3
    https://ibb.co/FgZp9B9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Given that the tank was very low, it is most likely that that the under pressure shut off has activated. It is shown on the left of your second photograph. There is a cover missing, but the normal procedure to reset it, is a firm pull on the cord which is visible.

On photo 1, the normal position for the red valve is open, the grey one should be closed.

That installation looks like it would benefit from an inspection and report from a local gas installer. Elements of it do not meet current regulation, and while this is one thing, you will want to be sure that there is no immediate safety risk. - So the formal advice would be that you seek this professional support in the first instance before attempting to restore the supply. See the register of gas installers website, for someone in your area.

Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Given that the tank was very low, it is most likely that that the under pressure shut off has activated. It is shown on the left of your second photograph. There is a cover missing, but the normal procedure to reset it, is a firm pull on the cord which is visible.

On photo 1, the normal position for the red valve is open, the grey one should be closed.

That installation looks like it would benefit from an inspection and report from a local gas installer. Elements of it do not meet current regulation, and while this is one thing, you will want to be sure that there is no immediate safety risk. - So the formal advice would be that you seek this professional support in the first instance before attempting to restore the supply. See the register of gas installers website, for someone in your area.

Best wishes

Thanks for your reply.

I'll give what you suggest a go - I will be getting someone to look at it but just want to get it back working until someone gets a chance to get here.

To clarify - I will ensure the red valve is fully turned in the open direction, and the grey one is fully turned to the closed direction. Then, pull the pin that is sticking out. Should I pull this as far as it will go? Do I need to hold it for any period of time, or should it be one hard pull then release it immediately?
    And can I do this with all the valves/switches in their 'normal' positions, or do I need to turn anything off while pulling the cord?

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Yes - it may need a firm pull, particularly given the cap has been left off and there may be some corrosion. You could use a gloved hand but not a pliers or anything like that.

If you listen as you pull, you should hear the sound of gas entering the regulator once you have successfully reset it.

You can do it with all valves in the normal positions, just remember that once successfully reset gas will flow into the house, so make sure cookers etc. are all switched off in advance.

If it’s not happening with ease, I would say leave it and arrange help.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Yes - it may need a firm pull, particularly given the cap has been left off and there may be some corrosion. You could use a gloved hand but not a pliers or anything like that.

If you listen as you pull, you should hear the sound of gas entering the regulator once you have successfully reset it.

You can do it with all valves in the normal positions, just remember that once successfully reset gas will flow into the house, so make sure cookers etc. are all switched off in advance.

If it’s not happening with ease, I would say leave it and arrange help.

Doesn’t seem to be working :(
    Pulled the cord a number of times but heard no sound come from it. Still nothing from the hob :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Its very possible the over pressure protection has also tripped, give Calor a call in the morning.
    (your not permitted to reset this device yourself)

• Advertisement

DGOBS wrote: »
    Its very possible the over pressure protection has also tripped, give Calor a call in the morning.
    (your not permitted to reset this device yourself)

Thanks very much for replying.

I'll be calling them first thing tomorrow.

Again, never had gas before, so just wondering, more silly questions - is calor the first port of call whenever issues such as this arise? Do calor have engineers they will send out to sort problems like this? If so, would they be prompt? It's no fun having no heating/hot water/cooker in December.

Or are you expected to get a gas certified plumber yourself to handle such issues?

Advertisement