Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build prewired with Cat V - advice please?

Options
  • 12-12-2020 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

We’re buying a new build and the completion date is a few months out. So trying to understand and plan as much as possible in terms of networking and TV set ups etc.

From looking at the show house there are at least 8 cat v cables terminating in a little cabinet in the utility. One to kitchen, to living, to upstairs landing ceiling, master bedroom. I assume the others go to the other rooms also or possibly to cctv mounting points.

My plan is to use a Poe switch to connect all to the network and on the landing ceiling to use a Poe AP. The CCTV cables if there would go into an NVR and the NVR into the switch.

Can a PoE switch be used easily with a sky or virgin router? (Would favour sky but may need to go with virgin)

Can I use 4 port switches at the other ends or does that complicate things? For example two bedrooms will be offices with a few connections each and the master would have the tv, Apple TV and skybox.

Can I get a PoE access point and mount to upstairs landing ceiling to work with sky to improve WiFi signal?

Is there any other advice or equipment suggestions you have for creating a basic home network?

Thank you all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭dubrov

Most NVRs for CCTV systems provide PoE directly. So you would connect the camera cables directly into it.
    Also, wireless APs normally come with a PoE adapter.
    So you'd be better off just buying a standard unmanged switch (not PoE) as they are much cheaper. You can easily add a oE switch later if you find a need for it.

Switches will work with all routers. Just run an ethernet cable from the output of the router to the switch.

Yes you can daisy chain network switches.

I'd recommend getting a PoE wireless access point for the landing ceiling (maybe even one downstairs as well). You'll need to run an ethernet cable from the router (via PoE adapter/switch) to it and this will provide power and data. I'd recommend using Cat6 as it is likely to be shared among many devices.

I'd also recommend buying a NAS so you can store all your media in one place on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

dubrov wrote: »
    Most NVRs for CCTV systems provide PoE directly. So you would connect the camera cables directly into it.
    Also, wireless APs normally come with a PoE adapter.
    So you'd be better off just buying a standard unmanged switch (not PoE) as they are much cheaper. You can easily add a oE switch later if you find a need for it.

Switches will work with all routers. Just run an ethernet cable from the output of the router to the switch.

Yes you can daisy chain network switches.

I'd recommend getting a PoE wireless access point for the landing ceiling (maybe even one downstairs as well). You'll need to run an ethernet cable from the router (via PoE adapter/switch) to it and this will provide power and data. I'd recommend using Cat6 as it is likely to be shared among many devices.

I'd also recommend buying a NAS so you can store all your media in one place on the network.

Thank you for that. Ok so in the case of the AP, should I get a separate poE adapter to send poE while being connected to the sky/virgin hub? Will these APs work readily with sky or virgin or do I need a bit of know how to get these up and running? Ideally was hoping to use the cat v cabling in place. Would happily plug in an AP but in the ceiling there’s only an Ethernet port.

Thanks again, yes the NAS is also planned, as is replacing the cabinet with a bigger one for NAS, router, NVR, switches. Etc

Most wireless APs come with a PoE adapter included
    Here is an example.

You just connect an ethernet from your router/switch to it and then another ethernet cable from the PoE adapter to the AP. The adapter will need power though (i.e. a plug).

Most wireless APs come with a PoE adapter included
    Here is an example.

You just connect an ethernet from your router/switch to it and then another ethernet cable from the PoE adapter to the AP. The adapter will need power though (i.e. a plug).

Great, that’s ideal. Will it work plug and play with sky or virgin?

Pete123456 wrote:
    Great, that’s ideal. Will it work plug and play with sky or virgin?

Yes

• Advertisement

Yes

Thank you. Considering there’ll be a router, switch, NVR, Hubs for smart devices, NAS and maybe one or two other things, is it a good idea to put up a small wall mounted server cabinet or would this be overkill? If so do I need cooling?

Any other suggestions or considerations? :)

Advertisement