Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK to Send Small Batteries (LR1 N) Domestically/Within Ireland?

Options
  • 12-12-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Just wondering if it's OK to send some small consumer electronics batteries within Ireland. Obviously you can't send them internationally. I'm sending some small LR1 N batteries (like AA but smaller) within an electronic device.

It's not clear to me from the An Post website:

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Sending-Guide/Prohibited-Items

They mention alright batteries are not allowed for "international mail services". That's fine. And then in the following paragraph they mention "the full list of prohibited items" by link to the bottom of the screen which also includes batteries. Is this a list of prohibited items for just international mail or for all mail I'm wondering? Seems to me like it's both as it comes after the paragraph:

"Restricted items
    An Post restricts a number of items on both its national and international postal services..."

although it's also hyperlinked from the previously mentioned section.

I'd ask An Post but they won't be available till Monday. Anyone any experience on this issue?

Of course, is there any way of detecting them in a package says you? It's not like they're gonna go through an X-ray scanner?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Better asking An Post on Monday. Some of the couriers (I think DPD) will not allow batteries for delivery locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SamShadow

Thanks for reply. I sent them a webform query just now. When it submitted it mentioned they have a WebChat service which I didn't realise so I can try that on Monday. It might be hard to get through my phone considering everything going on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Friend of mine has a webshop selling e-cigs stuff, including batteries. She uses both An Post and DPD on a daily basis. Perhaps business account with them is less restricted, I don't know - just stating the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

SamShadow wrote: »
    Just wondering if it's OK to send some small consumer electronics batteries within Ireland. Obviously you can't send them internationally. I'm sending some small LR1 N batteries (like AA but smaller) within an electronic device.

I've sold loads of things on eBay within Ireland and never once has the post office been concerned about things with batteries in or even just batteries. Only when it's UK/ Europe etc do you have to fill in the declaration form and they'd restrict it.

Send them, you'll be fine.

Advertisement