Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to place a DiSEqC?

• 12-12-2020 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

This seems relatively simple, but I’m looking for advise on where is the best place to add a DiSEqC to a satellite dish with 2 lnbs? It seems people place them outside at the dish, presumably to reduce duplication of the cables - but is this necessary? With weather is it also worth considering placing it within the house? If outside is the way, where exactly on the dish, mount or arm is the place to add it?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

In order to keep the cables to a minimum I would normally mount the switch(es) as near the dish as possible. Depending on how complex the setup and the number of switches it might be easier and neater to mount them in a wall mounted weather-proof box close to the dish. Why run 8 cables in to the house when two will do the same job. If practical you might just run them into the attic space near the dish.
    Electrically it doesn't make any significant difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

In order to keep the cables to a minimum I would normally mount the switch(es) as near the dish as possible. Depending on how complex the setup and the number of switches it might be easier and neater to mount them in a wall mounted weather-proof box close to the dish. Why run 8 cables in to the house when two will do the same job. If practical you might just run them into the attic space near the dish.
    Electrically it doesn't make any significant difference.

Super thanks for the confirmation. Given they seem as cheap as chips, is there a particular brand or standard to look for? Same for the weather proof box. Cheers!

Btw, given you clearly know your way around a fish installation, would you happen to be able to advise if it’s worth buying a Linux box for two different LNB feeds? We have a humax Freeview box and I gather the second signal will need to be added manually via a ‘secret’ menu and will remain fairly in user friendly at best.

Don't know what you mean about the Humax box software hack. BTW FreeView is the terrestrial system in UK FreeSat is the satellite version.
    In order to be able to record a different satellite channel while watching an other, you need a second feed from the dish to a second tuner in the receiver. For this reason most people use triple tuner combo Linux boxes. That way you have your Irish Saorview channels along with your UK channels all in the one box on the same EPG, same remote etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

Don't know what you mean about the Humax box software hack. BTW FreeView is the terrestrial system in UK FreeSat is the satellite version.
    In order to be able to record a different satellite channel while watching an other, you need a second feed from the dish to a second tuner in the receiver. For this reason most people use triple tuner combo Linux boxes. That way you have your Irish Saorview channels along with your UK channels all in the one box on the same EPG, same remote etc etc.

Sorry yep I meant freesat box. I’m out of range of saorview unfortunately so that’s the best I think I can manage. Appreciate the Linux box link it looks ideal if it can merge two epgs

Thanks!

It should also be noted that there are other FTA satellite channels that are not on the FreeSat EPG. Most notably Channel 4HD which are available on Linux boxes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement