Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sawzall

Options
  • 12-12-2020 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭

Bought one of these 3 years ago in Lidl. Used it a few times things like a difficult wardrobe frame removal etc. But it's a load of ****e tool. Rubbish in fact. Better off using a handsaw.

Anyone use one and think they're worth it? What brand ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

listermint wrote: »
    Bought one of these 3 years ago in Lidl. Used it a few times things like a difficult wardrobe frame removal etc. But it's a load of ****e tool. Rubbish in fact. Better off using a handsaw.

Anyone use one and think they're worth it? What brand ?

I have a Milwaukee reciprocating saw (sawzall) and its a great tool for certain situations. I also have a Feintool for finish work that is in my opinion one of the best tools invented in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I've the DeWalt 18v recip saw multi position blade and its a god send for refurb work cutting out studs and rough timbers with nails.
    Perfect for the correct application
    18v multi tool for the finer side of removal is a gift of a tool with decent blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I also have the DeWalt 18v reciprocating saw. Very useful tool when you need it but not a tool for every sawing occasion.

I use it a lot cutting through old nail and screws in timber and for cutting metal pipes. There is no accuracy in it but when you need to get something into the end of a joint in studwork to cut it out then other than a hand held hacksaw blade there is nothing much else you can use.

What I normally do when cutting out nailed or screwed in studwork is first use an angle grinder to cut any nails near the edge of the timber and then follow through with the reciprocating saw. Saves on saw blades.

Also handy for notching out for pipe work and cables as well as cutting out old plumbing pipes.

The biggest issue I have found is not with the saw but with some of the cheap crap metal cutting blades that are sold for them. I now almost exclusively use Erwin blades because the cheap lidl and aldi ones for metal are very poor.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Got a Makita (Red) one. Probably the best tool I've ever bought, frankly. I've used it dozens of times, since I got it, on a whim. I honestly can't seem to remember getting any other tool out half so much in that period.

Maybe ye could try to say; 'Ah, but; You must have just got lucky in the jobs ye had available.' But, I don't think so. They're notoriously useful for internal demolitions, like Bonzo and CO have found.

But, I do none of that. Mine sort of replaces ~ and way surpasses ~ my angle grinders. I do practically 99% 'Hacksawing' with it. All sorts of materials and applications.

CO; I bought a natty little box of Bosch blades, off Amazon. Fantastic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I've the DeWalt 18v recip saw multi position blade and its a god send for refurb work cutting out studs and rough timbers with nails.
    Perfect for the correct application
    18v multi tool for the finer side of removal is a gift of a tool with decent blades.

I have the same 18V
    the attached was done in an hour this morning, with two batteries.

I drilled inch holes either side of the uprights to get started.

Not an entry for the "what re you working on thread" :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I also have the DeWalt 18v reciprocating saw. Very useful tool when you need it but not a tool for every sawing occasion.

The biggest issue I have found is not with the saw but with some of the cheap crap metal cutting blades that are sold for them. I now almost exclusively use Erwin blades because the cheap lidl and aldi ones for metal are very poor.

I swear by the dewalt dt2349 demolition blades to cut through anything that's thrown at it ( except steel nails thats grinder territory) they last ages on joist timbers riddled with roundwire nails, often cut entire wallplates and purlins out of rafter birdsmouths with the one blade. They're slightly thicker and harder than a lot of the cheaper ones .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I have a cheap power craft one (lidl/aldi) and an 18V dewalt one, both are very good. I can't fault the cheap on either, still comes out every now and then.

Some of the blades aren't the best. I have some blades for cutting brick/concrete which are really handy, fitting an air vent in a house could just cut out one red brick, very neat job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have a Milwaukee reciprocating saw (sawzall) and its a great tool for certain situations. I also have a Feintool for finish work that is in my opinion one of the best tools invented in recent times.

I have one too & it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

I’ve an Lidl special and a dewalt. Both well used. As previously mentioned, good blades are key. Obviously, finesse goes out the window with such a tool. Well suited to butchering though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’ve a Bosch one and it’s useless for 90% of applications. When you need it you need it though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement