Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a new receiver ( brain pandemic fried)

• 12-12-2020 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hi

I tried to work this out but at the end of this year my head is fried

I bought a Samsung tv and it's still boxed til Xmas

Currently I have an old Lidl satellite receiver and it does work..BBC etc.. but the remote is fecked..its ancient.. and only scart connections

I was going to buy a new sat receiver box but then noticed the details below in TV description

Does this mean I can just connect the dish directly to TV and tune in the free to air channels?

If not can I just Get any old receiver once it has an hdmi.. ? Like 50 quid one off powercity

Also ..if I get one that does pvr and get ah hhd can I record any show in free to air

Sorry for all the questions .. but trying to sort pre Xmas and head fried

TV description includes: ( Samsung

Features USB video playback.
    Freeview HD digital tuner.
    Freeview HD (UK) and Saorview (ROI).
    Saorview digital tuner (Saorview can only be received in the Republic of Ireland).
    CI plus slot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Freeview and Saorview are the terrestrial channels for which you will need an aerial to receive and view.

Free to air channels can be got with a dish.

Connecting a hard drive will enable recording of either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I should have said if the tv is new then it should have a satellite tuner which will allow you to connect directly to the dish but you need to ensure the dish is mounted in the correct position to receive the satellite / free to air channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doney84

From reading your description, Freeview HD and Saorview are only mentioned which are terrestrial TV services (received via an aerial). If you post the TV model number it could be checked to see if it has a satellite tuner which by the sound of things is what you require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

doney84 wrote: »
    From reading your description, Freeview HD and Saorview are only mentioned which are terrestrial TV services (received via an aerial). If you post the TV model number it could be checked to see if it has a satellite tuner which by the sound of things is what you require.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&productId=1816508

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭decor58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doney84

No mention of a satellite tuner in the specs for that model so unfortunately to get the UK FTA channels you we'll need to purchase a satellite receiver box unless you have an appropriate aerial set up and live along the boarder or parts of the east coast and can pick up the UK Freeview service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It looks like this set does NOT have a satellite tuner. As mentioned, FreeView is the UK terrestrial service available using an ordinary aerial only if you are near the border or parts of the east coast. Chances are your existing Lidl satellite dish has a single cable coming from it. Although this will give you the free to air satellite channels, you will need a second feed from the dish if you want the ability to watch one channel while recording another. To achieve this you will need at least a twin LNB (the yoke on the dish arm) with a second cable run.
    Rather than buying the cheapest possible satellite box, I would recommend buying a triple tuner combo box. This will give you the ability to watch and record at least 3 different shows at once. You will have all the channels in a single listing, in any order you wish with full 7 day EPG, series linking etc etc.

The Irish, Saorview channels will still need some form of aerial also. Depending on your location you may get away with a basic indoor one.

Thanks all.. I suspected that but trying to get shopping done with crazy workload

I'll look at all the suggestions... Was going cheap and easy ...really to just connect current box to new TV ( and work around scart) but seems a waste...

I'll read the thread linked too thanks

Appreciate your time

Thanks all.. I suspected that but trying to get shopping done with crazy workload

I'll look at all the suggestions... Was going cheap and easy ...really to just connect current box to new TV ( and work around scart) but seems a waste...

I'll read the thread linked too thanks

Appreciate your time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭swoofer

Here's a tip, that will save you hassle, change the tv, and argos are ok when its still boxed, get this one and it comes with a sat tuner and you can add a usb hdd for recording.

Toshiba 43 Inch 43UK4B63DB Smart 4K Alexa TV with HDR at argos but obiviously check stock!!

heres the spec

https://toshiba-tv.com/uk-uk/smart-tvs/43UK4B63DB

and apparently all the toshiba's come with a sat tuner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you are changing TV but want to stick with Samsung, go with the TU8500 series which has Freesat (in UK mode, FTA in Ireland mode): https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7517826/Trail/searchtext%3ESAMSUNG+43.htm

Advertisement