Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeder for sunflower hearts

Options
  • 11-12-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Folks, could anyone recommend a suitable feeder for sunflower hearts? I have a hopper style seed feeder but it's fairly free flowing so not sure if it would be suitable. I just use it for the whole black sunflower seeds on the patio where I can sweep up the mess.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think I got mine in B&Q.

I was using a general bird seed one but found this one that's specifically for sunflower hearts and it is way better as I have a lot of sparrows/ goldfinches + they can be very messy but this feeder doesn't let as much fall out.

There is no actual perching bars on it, its just all metal mesh + they all land on it no problem. Actually helps keep starlings away as too awkward for them.

Much less mess aswell with hearts rather than black sunflower seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

appledrop wrote: »

I was using a general bird seed one but found this one that's specifically for sunflower hearts and it is way better as I have a lot of sparrows/ goldfinches + they can be very messy but this feeder doesn't let as much fall out.

There is no actual perching bars on it, its just all metal mesh + they all land on it no problem. Actually helps keep starlings away as too awkward for them.

Thanks appledrop. Something like this? https://robertkee.ie/product/tom-chambers-all-seasons-sunflower-heart-seed-feeder---cs097?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6KjsttPG7QIVwuvtCh07HgN6EAQYASABEgIBgvD_BwE

mattcullen wrote: »

Yea, mine is longer but that's idea.

Also easy opening at bottom great for cleaning it.

Mine is brilliant. I was worried about metal one as past ones plastic but mine said rust resistance + fair play it has stayed great after 2 winters.

The metal mesh is definitely way to go.

You actually get more birds if big enough because more can perch on metal all together rather than say a plastic one with only 4 perches.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

The metal mesh is definitely way to go.

You actually get more birds if big enough because more can perch on metal all together rather than say a plastic one with only 4 perches.

Nice one. Will go for one of them so. Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hi appledrop can you just confirm this feeder will work with the white sunflower hearts as I don't use the black ones.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi appledrop can you just confirm this feeder will work with the white sunflower hearts as I don't use the black ones.

Yes just make sure you get one that says on it for Sunflower hearts + then I will work perfectly.

I never use black one, too messy.

Advertisement