Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SURE Relief

Options
  • 11-12-2020 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I've a query in relation to part in bold below, will a person be eligible if they only were employed part of a year final year.

As an example;
    2015 - Employed all Year
    2016 - Employed all Year
    2017 - Employed 4 Months* (Jan - Apr)
    *Made redundant in April

Clause from revenue below
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-16/16-00-03.pdf

3.3.1 Employment before investment [s.505(2)]
    In order to claim relief under SURE, the investor must be a “specified individual”. To be a “specified individual”, the individual must have been in employment (taxable under either Sch E in respect of an Irish employment or Case III of Sch D in respect of a foreign employment) for the three years preceding the year that precedes the year
    in which he or she first makes a SURE investment. That is, for an investment during 2019, the individual must have been in employment for 2015, 2016 and 2017. For each of those years, the individual cannot have earnings from any other source in excess of €50,000, or the employment income, whichever is the lower.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

SDKev wrote: »
    I've a query in relation to part in bold below, will a person be eligible if they only were employed part of a year final year.

As an example;
    2015 - Employed all Year
    2016 - Employed all Year
    2017 - Employed 4 Months* (Jan - Apr)
    *Made redundant in April

Clause from revenue below
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-16/16-00-03.pdf

3.3.1 Employment before investment [s.505(2)]
    In order to claim relief under SURE, the investor must be a “specified individual”. To be a “specified individual”, the individual must have been in employment (taxable under either Sch E in respect of an Irish employment or Case III of Sch D in respect of a foreign employment) for the three years preceding the year that precedes the year
    in which he or she first makes a SURE investment. That is, for an investment during 2019, the individual must have been in employment for 2015, 2016 and 2017. For each of those years, the individual cannot have earnings from any other source in excess of €50,000, or the employment income, whichever is the lower.

Im looking at SURE too and my reading of that is as long as you were employed in that tax year you are fine, you don't have to be employed for the full year

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rossdarragh1

I'm wondering if I'm eligible for this myself, I'm being made redundant at the end of this month and am now going to set up a company and employ myself within the company as the sole employee. The company will have two shareholders, myself and my husband. Any idea if I'll be eligible for SURE. I know it's based off the initial investment. I presume this investment has to come from myself and not my husband?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think you both can invest, looking at it myself and am interested to know how you (or anyone got on). We have sent in business registration documents to CORE so that will be another month but the plan is to put all of our savings into the company.

Two questions though, how do we then claim the relief? Can it be done at any point in the year? Even more stupidly, can you then reinvest the relief again.

Lets say we put in 50k, and then we receive 25k back , could we then put that 25k in if we wanted and then get a further 12.5k back?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sorry, both can invest if working there full time, not if he is elsewhere

Advertisement