Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Gift letter

Options
  • 11-12-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Currently gathering the documentation to apply for a mortgage in the new year.

Regarding lump sum gifts, I was lucky to be gifted money by my mother and a family friend (separate occasions)

The family friend money went into it's own account at the start of the year, and hasn't been touched. I presume I will need a gift letter, or does the fact that it's been 'resting in my account' confirm it doesn't need to be paid back?

The money my mother gave me is a little more complicated, it got added to my savings (which I have ended up using as a deposit savings account) a while back and I used it along with my own funds to pay back debt - would this be considered a gift towards my deposit?

There's no issue getting a letter from either, I'm just curious.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

cb123 wrote: »
    Currently gathering the documentation to apply for a mortgage in the new year.

Regarding lump sum gifts, I was lucky to be gifted money by my mother and a family friend (separate occasions)

The family friend money went into it's own account at the start of the year, and hasn't been touched. I presume I will need a gift letter, or does the fact that it's been 'resting in my account' confirm it doesn't need to be paid back?

The money my mother gave me is a little more complicated, it got added to my savings (which I have ended up using as a deposit savings account) a while back and I used it along with my own funds to pay back debt - would this be considered a gift towards my deposit?

There's no issue getting a letter from either, I'm just curious.

You will need a letter from each (the bank will provide a template).

Its to confirm neither has any interest in the property you're looking to purachse and that the gift was actually a gift and you don't have to start paying it back once you draw down the loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭cb123

G_R wrote: »
    You will need a letter from each (the bank will provide a template).

Its to confirm neither has any interest in the property you're looking to purachse and that the gift was actually a gift and you don't have to start paying it back once you draw down the loan.

Cheers for the reply. I'll let them know 🙂

Advertisement