Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POTW 547: 7/11/20 -13/11/20

Options
  • 11-12-2020 12:11pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THIS WEEK'S POTW GOES TO:

keps
    50584222617_b1d5116f51_c.jpg

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

NEW WAVE
    aGNJjEL.jpg

pete4130
    50586349847_62f0e41f71_c.jpg

IamMetaldave
    532645.JPG

dinneenp
    50596503808_26a94d22aa_c.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS keps.
    Any information on the winning shot would be appreciated.
    WELL DONE HMs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Oops sorry for delay - I hadn't checked in for a few days!

Thanks to all - especially Myksyk!

This photo was taken along the Dodder at Milltown on Nov 9th - in the pleasant autumn light. I took 16 or more shots(using the 4 frames per sec mode) of the thrush grabbing and eating the berries and this was the one which I felt was best!

Technical stuff:
    Camera: Nikon D800 ( on monopod)
    Lens: Tamron 150mm-600mm( extended to 450mm)
    Shutter speed: 1/800th sec
    Aperture F6.3
    ISO 250

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Oletimer

Fantastic shot, keps. Superb!

Is that the Tamron SP150-600mm A011 lens you're using? I am impressed with the tack sharp image you're getting at F/6.3 because I was advised or read somewhere that this lens only produced the goods at f/8.0, and I couple mine, as of recently, to a Canon EOS 5D MkIII. Previously was attached to a Canon EOS 700D. Just bought a fab Manfrotto tripod as my previous travel-purpose Velbon Tracer 302, while ideal to carry in a Lowepro DSLR Video Fastpack 350 backpack, is I feel a tad not suitable for the Tamron's weight.

Would love to hear your views. Handheld or tripod?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Hi there Oletimer

The Tamron lens I am currently using is the Di Vc USD G2 version of the 150mm to 600mm lens - but I had almost as good result with G1

I think some lenses and cameras suit each other- for instance I only use my Tamron 12mm -24mm with an pretty old D7000- but they work brilliantly together!

The D800 is a a full frame camera which gives a 36.3 MP sized image. Shooting in RAW gives huge scope.

99% of my photos with the lens are taken at F6.3 as this allows you to optimise ISO and shutter speed. Tests seem to show that with VC( vibration compensation) the Tamron 6.3 is equivalent to 4.5 on on non 'VC' lens.

As implied, I find that shooting in Raw is important and then using the RAW 'studio' in Photoshop - before importing into the standard Photoshop studio for final adjustments.

As mentioned in original post ( in brackets I accept) the thrush pic was taken with the camera on a monopod- which I use 100% of the time with the Tamron Telephoto

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Oletimer

Thank you keps for that detailed response

I used to have a brilliant Benbo monopod until idiot-me forgot it on a bus dashing out in haste and lost it. But it did have one major drawback despite being a sturdy monopod----it was far too long even compressed to pack in a suitcase never mind a backpack.

I have just invested in a Manfrotto one which I can pack in a backpack for travel purposes. I used to shoot JPEG/JPGs most of the time till I discovered the RAW alternatives as I did not have Photoshop, but I did have an old Lightroom 5, and through it have discovered so, so much more about the RAW capabilities.

I am so glad I subscribed to this particular Forum.

Advertisement