Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbara Windsor has died

Options
  • 11-12-2020 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

EastEnders and Carry On legend Barbara Windsor has died at the age of 83 following a battle against Alzheimer's disease. Many generation would have grown up watching her.

RIP Peggy

Comments

Aye, a nice person, with a colourful history.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RIP

Poor Phil and Grant but is suppose that character would of died long ago

Get outta my pub!

RIP Babs. Loved you since your carry on days x

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

From The Mirror
    The EastEnders and Carry On legend was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2014, but kept her condition secret until symptoms started to show in 2018.

Sadly, her condition had worsened in recent months.

While Barbara's friends, family members and husband Scott had rallied around her with love and support, she had become lonely during the coronavirus lockdown as she didn't understand why no one was visiting her.

Jesus that’s sad. What a horrible condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Aye, a nice person, with a colourful history.

Indeed, she was in the Krays circle of acquaintances IIRC.

• Advertisement

RIP Babs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,026 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

tdf7187 wrote: »

She was indeed, she knew them well.

She had strong Irish roots too, despite the English sounding surname. They showed her in Ireland on BBC's 'Who Do You Think You Are'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bit closer to them than that, think she was with each of them at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

R.I.P Babs. Only found out recently that she was ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

RIP.

Never a fan of Eastenders but a flatmate of mine liked it so I had to watch it and Barbara Windsor was by far the best actor in the whole show. She might have been tiny in size but she was head and shoulders above all other actors on that show and most other actors in the profession. Always admired her since then without knowing much else about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yeah ! Just googled her . One night stand with Reggie and a longer one with Charlie
    Surprisingly (for me) a large and varied body of work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

She was a great actress. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Omackeral wrote: »
    From The Mirror

Jesus that’s sad. What a horrible condition.

An uncle died with it... didn’t know who he was or who anybody was at the end, existed in body only..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I liked her. One of the originals from a certain era. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Leslie Philips and Jim Dale are the final two surviving main cast members, 96 and 85 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Strumms wrote: »
    An uncle died with it... didn’t know who he was or who anybody was at the end, existed in body only..

Ah. I just can't even read into stories about Alzheimers hate hearing about it or seeing it mentioned anywhere, it's too much for me. Just scares the living daylights out of me. Please god find a cure to it sometime in the near future, it's a fate worse than death and not just for the sufferer but the family as well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

She was a real one off and proved herself as an extremely capable character actor in EastEnders and more or less defined the Carry-Ons for years.

She just always seemed like she was having a great time and had her feet firmly on the ground.

Also had a strong Irish connection and traces a big chunk of her accessory to Cork's Northside.

Undoubtedly one of the biggest icons of UK television and film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Aw she was some doll. A pub I go to in Malaysia plays a montage of various movies on their big screens and there she is in some Carry-ons, one where her bra flies off when she is exercising and I have always wondered how she was doing when I see it.

Rest well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ahh did she. I met her once at work in her neck of the woods. She was very sweet and thankful when she left unlike some. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

GET OUTTA MY PUB!!!!!

I love that line.

RIP Barbara.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Sid James was cracked after her, not sure if they were in a relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Go on get out of my pub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Lovely lady. Have been reading some lovely tributes to her, she came across as a genuine lady. Barbara was also highly intelligent, despite the Carry On Persona and finished first in the whole of London in exams she did in primary school.

She also did so much to raise awareness of the condition. My Dad is currently in the mid - late stages of Dementia and it is heartbreaking to watch.

Hateful Leech of a disease is the only way it can be described.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Excellent in the Carry On movies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Henryq. wrote: »
    Sid James was cracked after her, not sure if they were in a relationship

they were indeed.

According to her she gave him a one night stand "to get it out of his system" but it was an on and off relationship (oeer miss!) until he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

This is it wrote: »
    Excellent in the Carry On movies

Her bikini top flying off in Carry On Camping springs (no pun intended) to mind,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have to say that the Carry On movies are absolutely dreadful even the standards of the 60s.

Seemed to loved by the same type that think Mrs Browne is peak comedy.

One of the great soap characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have to say that the Carry On movies are absolutely dreadful even the standards of the 60s.

Seemed to loved by the same type that think Mrs Browne is peak comedy.

I quite liked them as a teenager. And way better that Mrs Browne if your're going that low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

AllForIt wrote: »
    I quite liked them as a teenager. And way better that Mrs Browne if your're going that low.

Carry on Cleo was OK. Millions were spent on the sets.

Advertisement