Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Power Tool

Options
  • 10-12-2020 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭

Well maybe not the ultimate, but I'm so going to buy one of these..

Impact driver with the capability to switch over to normal drill and to also be able for a bit lightweight hammer action masonry drilling.

Anyone any own one of these hybrid type impacts and have any opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Doesn't look they own one either. What a lot of talk just go to their website for the review https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/cordless/drills-drivers-cordless/makita-hybrid-impact-hammer-drill-driver-review-xpt02/39612/ .

$259 on Amazon.com so probably not a lot a change out of €400 over here just for the bare tool.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Doesn't look they own one either. What a lot of talk just go to their website for the review https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/cordless/drills-drivers-cordless/makita-hybrid-impact-hammer-drill-driver-review-xpt02/39612/ .

$259 on Amazon.com so probably not a lot a change out of €400 over here just for the bare tool.

Yeah the first vid I looked at was some bald Scottish guy reviewing it but the vid was far too long so I went with that one.

It does seem very expensive for the bare unit but it does look very tempting to have the one drill over two for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yeah the first vid I looked at was some bald Scottish guy reviewing it but the vid was far too long so I went with that one.

It does seem very expensive for the bare unit but it does look very tempting to have the one drill over two for convenience.

Two allow you to have two batteries.
    when working, drill bit in one, pozi bit or what ever in the other.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Charlie19 wrote: »

Who the hell wants 1 drill.

when im drilling holes i have the drill bit in one drill and the driver but in another.

Your method would slow me down, increase frustration and waste battery earlier.

Its better to have right tool for the job rather than 1 tool which is half right for a job :D

The thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have "proper" or should I say traditional chuck. The hex chuck is fine for screwdriver bits because they are all that type but you then have to go and buy drills to fit the hex chuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

I don't have much experience with those hex shank drill bits but I'd imagine there's going to be some runout so not great where accuracy is required. So I think I'll stick my separate cordless impact driver and cordless drill, with a corded SDS for masonry work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If it doesn't take round drill bits without an adaptor I wouldn't bother with it.
    By the time you've changed the bit ( perhaps some adaptor as well),
    faffed about with the 1/2 doz. settings on the chuck,
    wiped all the crap of that "strategically placed" digital display.
    spend a minute figuring out if you've got it on the right setting,
    you would have drilled and screwed 3 times with your 2 drivers.

With the right set of hex drill bits swapping over between a drill bit and a screw bit would only take a couple of seconds.

But at that price you could easily get two drills which is what a lot of people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I have an SDS, impact and drill but I don't use the drill that often so if I could replace the drill and impact for the hybrid, it would make spare room in the bag for the multi tool or reciprocate saw.

I'll wait till January though and see if there any deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have a Lidl SDS corded with a second standard chuck. It's unbeatable for €40. I have a Milwaukee M12 screwdriver & a lot of hex bits. I find that for most drilling the M12 is fine & when I need more I use the SDS.

I have a cordless Makita drill that hardly gets used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement