Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethics and consumption

Options
  • 10-12-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55265989

Antoine has severed ties with Huawei over claims they are using technology to to assist the communist party in their oppression of their on-going opression of the Uighurs.

I notice a lot of people up in arms about Amazon, fast fashion outlets, but where do we draw the line? What determines the acceptable threshold of business malpractice that allows the mob to continue supporting a particular company/product?

Have you taken any such stand and if so, how do you reconcile shady business practices of other goods that you might buy?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't have an Amazon account. I try to avoid buying stuff made in China, or stuff with links to sweatshop setups. I try to buy "local" as much as possible, within the EU anyway. If I buy more far afield stuff like clothing say I try to find stuff that's somewhat ethically produced. I prefer to buy stuff that is repairable rather than throwaway and stuff that is built to last. It can cost more initially, but I'm OK with that. EG I have a couple of Barbour waxed jackets that are 30 years old and have been repaired by the factory(I don't know if they still do this). I try to avoid buying the "Latest Thing" dopamine hit type stuff I don't need. Hardly a saint or minimalist I grant you, because in the end in many things I am reliant on the consumerist model that everyone else is. .

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement