Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking annual leave as set out in Employment law

Options
  • 10-12-2020 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Guys.
    I am a shift worker. I work 12 hour shifts covering the companies operations 24/7. 4*12 hours shifts on, 4-6 days off.
    Apparently Holiday entitlement are included in your down time.
    I had a meeting with my direct manager recently and i asked him about taking a 2 week holiday abroad next year , he said it wasnt possible as my holidays are included in my down time. I argued every employee was entitled to a two week holiday block per year as stated on the Citizens information website. I Meet all the criteria set out on the citizens information website for the two week block.
    "An employee who has worked for at least 8 months is entitled to an unbroken period of 2 weeks' annual leave."

Do i have grounds to take my case further. I didnt sign anything when taking up my role on the shift re. holiday arrangement.
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Hi Guys.
    I am a shift worker. I work 12 hour shifts covering the companies operations 24/7. 4*12 hours shifts on, 4-6 days off.
    I had a meeting with my direct manager recently and i asked him about taking a 2 week holiday abroad next year , he said it wasnt possible as my holidays are included in my down time. I argued every employee was entitled to a two week holiday block per year as stated on the Citizens information website. I Meet all the criteria set out on the citizens information website for the two week block.
    "An employee who has worked for at least 8 months is entitled to an unbroken period of 2 weeks' annual leave."

Do i have grounds to take my case further. I didnt sign anything when taking up my role on the shift re. holiday arrangement.
    Thank you

And what did he say when you argued your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Spy Queen

And what did he say when you argued your point?

The shift arrangements was an agreement between management and the shift employees and we had no case as our holidays where included in our down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi Guys.

Thank you

This sounds very wrong indeed.
    What does your contract say regarding holiday entitlement??

It’s important to know that no contract clause can negate your statutory employee rights.

Advertisement