Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for childminder for summer months

Options
  • 10-12-2020 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

I'd like to get a college student to mind my two kids during the summer months. 8.15am until 6pm Mon-Fri for all of July and August. What do ppl think would be a fair wage to pay someone per week for this job? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I'd like to get a college student to mind my two kids during the summer months. 8.15am until 6pm Mon-Fri for all of July and August. What do ppl think would be a fair wage to pay someone per week for this job? Thanks

If they’re coming to your home legally you are considered an employer you have to pay at least minimum wage and register as an employer to pay their PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Why are you looking specifically for a college student?

How many children do you have?

What ages are they?

What do you expect the student to do with your children?

All of these factors will impact on how much you should be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Budget a baseline of 20 quid an hour (to include the prsi payment).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

myshirt wrote: »

That’s €1000 per week. I really don’t think that’s the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Don't forget holiday pay. And a company car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Staff in Lidl and Aldi start on the Living Wage. Is that a comparator?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'd say 15 an hour for 2 kids would be an alright offer and you covering any trips they go on or activities, could get a pre loaded card like Revolut or something to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    If they’re coming to your home legally you are considered an employer you have to pay at least minimum wage and register as an employer to pay their PRSI.
    Yep I know that and intend to do that. But thanks anyway.

Bicyclette wrote: »
    Why are you looking specifically for a college student?

How many children do you have?

What ages are they?

What do you expect the student to do with your children?

All of these factors will impact on how much you should be paying.

2 primary school aged children in the later years classes.

I expect the person to mind them, play with them, heat up pre-prepared meals.for their lunches and of course the minder iwoujd be fed, included in that.
    I expect them to walk them to their summer camps (I will still be paying minder their weekly wage while kids are at camp for a few of the weeks as camp isn't a full day). All camps are a 5-10 min walk from house.

I am looking for a student because I would like someone young who'll play with them and get along well with them as a friend, but is also old enough to have cop on and maturity. And college students are off at the same time as I need someone and I know when I was in college i would have loved a job like that.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'd say 15 an hour for 2 kids would be an alright offer and you covering any trips they go on or activities, could get a pre loaded card like Revolut or something to use.

That sounds fair.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Staff in Lidl and Aldi start on the Living Wage. Is that a comparator?

Yes maybe.

Baseline of €20 an hour? Seems v steep

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

My sis in law got a college student in last summer and for part of the lockdown as her child minder stopped minding. She paid her the same rate as childminder. €70 a day for 3 kids. 5,4 and 1. Girl was delighted with the wage. Still minds or babysits for them the odd time now. She lives in the west. Rates are probably higher in the east.

My sis in law got a college student in last summer and for part of the lockdown as her child minder stopped minding. She paid her the same rate as childminder. €70 a day for 3 kids. 5,4 and 1. Girl was delighted with the wage. Still minds or babysits for them the odd time now. She lives in the west. Rates are probably higher in the east.

Thanks, I'm in the west also. That seems like good money for a student. Thanks for reply

Advertisement