Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit - lamb prices

• 10-12-2020 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

Are prices expected to crash jan 1st with a no deal ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Tileman

Are prices expected to crash jan 1st with a no deal ?

The opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

where will our cull ewes go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sterling is taking a beating atm so that will have an obvious affect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

with England unable to compete supply lambs to France surly it will go up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Seems that in a no deal scenario British Lamb is going to be one area of agriculture to be let fall on its own sword which will be very unfair on sheep farmers involved.Talk of a 48% tariff on British lamb exports to EU but of course it is all only conjecture at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭kk.man

with England unable to compete supply lambs to France surly it will go up

TBF lamb has been a good price. I can't see this happening as my butcher says he can't afford to pay anymore for lamb as the customer will stop buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

Seems that in a no deal scenario British Lamb is going to be one area of agriculture to be let fall on its own sword which will be very unfair on sheep farmers involved.Talk of a 48% tariff on British lamb exports to EU but of course it is all only conjecture at this stage.

I wonder does that 48% also apply to NI lamb going south?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

kk.man wrote: »
    TBF lamb has been a good price. I can't see this happening as my butcher says he can't afford to pay anymore for lamb as the customer will stop buying.

Remember talking to a butcher a few years ago when the lambs were going well. When asked the same question then, he shrugged his shoulders and said didnt care if he had to pay abit extra for the lambs, as he was getting his beef for a few euro less at the time.

arctictree wrote: »
    I wonder does that 48% also apply to NI lamb going south?

or the NI lambs with Scottish accents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

serfspup wrote: »
    or the NI lambs with Scottish accents?

the "Carlsile Specials" might as well come into the factory in Navan waving union jacks and Geordie accents!

• Advertisement

if a trade deal is agreed there still be extra costs on all uk sourced inputs and no rise lamb price....one of the worst possible outcomes for us, but suits bankers, brokers, bandits & assorted ba5tards

I have found myself more than once thinking I would like to tell them keep their fish and feck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

if a trade deal is agreed there still be extra costs on all uk sourced inputs and no rise lamb price....one of the worst possible outcomes for us, but suits bankers, brokers, bandits & assorted ba5tards

I have found myself more than once thinking I would like to tell them keep their fish and feck off.

The fish angle is interesting - some environmental group in the UK researched who actually owns the Marine fish quota in the UK in 2020, turn out its nearly all owned by a handfull of wealthy families that feature prominently on the Sunday Times Rick List. Aul Boris playing the UK public for fools again:rolleyes:

boris is bravely battling to save the livelihoods of poor hardworking fisherfolk and sweet small family farms what would possibly make you think otherwise?

It is like you are suggesting that there is some 'big fish' or 'big agri' consparicy

next you will be thinking origin green is 'green wash nonsense'

where will it end!!!!!!!!:eek:

so there you have it .....they get to sell their lamb to europe we get to pay for extra red tape on inputs and get a cut in direct payments for the privilage:mad:

surely they dont sell lambs into france in the same way as we do ? there no longer an EU country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Tileman

Dickie10 wrote: »
    surely they dont sell lambs into france in the same way as we do ? there no longer an EU country

There will have to be import and export declarations. There is a cost to that. Might be vat implications also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭kk.man

Some serious prices being quoted for lambs this evening... 6.20e to 23kgs

are Republic of Ireland factories able to take in lambs from Britain now? if its complicated that could be the reason.

will they not have to be labeled as non EU ? ....but then again when they can turn horse into beef anything is possible:mad:

will they not have to be labeled as non EU ? ....but then again when they can turn horse into beef anything is possible:mad:

well ICM used to go to Carlisle and buy up lambs and ship them back to Larne and then Navan and killed , i dont know if they were labbelled as British lamb i would think they were put down as Irish lamb, so it makes no difference now.
    Only thing is if theres a tarriff or too much paperwork which there will be that it costs more than snapping up all lambs they can in rep of ireland even at a price.
    The Muslim immigration to EU countries is also something that cant be over exagerratted as a big plus to Irish famers, theres a huge amount of muslim people now in France, Belgium, Sweden and Germany all established markets for Irish lamb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement