Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BER Advice

Options
  • 10-12-2020 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

Hoping for a bit of advice. We're considering purchasing an oldish house, with a BER of F. The house itself has Attic insulation, is quite warm with a new boiler and double glazed windows, but the low BER has me slightly concerned.

I got a look at the BER report and the main problem seems to be that there is an outside toilet which connects to the house, so was in turn brought into the rating. This is seemingly the core reason for such a low rating.

Has anyone had any experience of this situation, and in turn, putting in place the measures to get the BER up if needed?

Thanks in Advance,

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hippo1234 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hoping for a bit of advice. We're considering purchasing an oldish house, with a BER of F. The house itself has Attic insulation, is quite warm with a new boiler and double glazed windows, but the low BER has me slightly concerned.

I got a look at the BER report and the main problem seems to be that there is an outside toilet which connects to the house, so was in turn brought into the rating. This is seemingly the core reason for such a low rating.

Has anyone had any experience of this situation, and in turn, putting in place the measures to get the BER up if needed?

Thanks in Advance,

The outside toilet, if separated and unheated, doesn't effect the BER.

Even if it isn't, assuming it's a standard small toilet, it won't have a significant impact.

What the boiler make and model
    And what age is the house

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hippo1234

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The outside toilet, if separated and unheated, doesn't effect the BER.

Even if it isn't, assuming it's a standard small toilet, it won't have a significant impact.

What the boiler make and model
    And what age is the house

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Toilet in back garden but the previous owner connected it to the house, so it is connected. It's a pretty big room just holding a toilet, sink and rad (it was one of the sheds in the garden by the looks of it).

House is from the 1960s but is generally in good condition.

I've asked the EA for the BER report so will get back to you on the boiler - can't remember at the moment.

Appreciate the help on this!

Advertisement