Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland lost its confidence?

Options
  • 10-12-2020 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

What I mean is in the 90s we had the soccer/football with Jack Charlton to boost the Country and get the people together then we had the great Rugby years with whatever your mans name was. I forget now.

Now our Soccer team is crap it looks like our Rugby team is too so what is there to give the Country a boost?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sin menyeal er Jack.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Maybe a gold in Olympic breakdancing will change all that?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If we only a free flowing goal scoring team again we would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We need a major engineering project to focus the country, building a bridge to Rockall would get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Need to win Euro vision a few times again, bring it back to Millstreet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

We should start a war with someone we’re sure we can beat. Wining a war often boosts national morale. There’s 37 countries below us on the Global Firepower Rankings, so we have a few to choose from, but to be safe, we should probably pick Bhutan.

https://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

AMKC wrote: »
    What I mean is in the 90s we had the soccer/football with Jack Charlton to boost the Country and get the people together then we had the great Rugby years with whatever your mans name was. I forget now.

Now our Soccer team is crap it looks like our Rugby team is too so what is there to give the Country a boost?

Obviously not a rugby fan.

Ireland were abysmal at rugby in the 90s, and reached their highest rugby point ever only two years ago.

If you're looking for sporting inspiration look to Katie Taylor

Ms

Need to win Euro vision a few times again, bring it back to Millstreet

Good idea.
    We need a major engineering project to focus the country, building a bridge to Rockall would get my vote.

Or build a Tunnel to Europe.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

We should start a war with someone we’re sure we can beat. Wining a war often boosts national morale. There’s 37 countries below us on the Global Firepower Rankings, so we have a few to choose from, but to be safe, we should probably pick Bhutan.

Still costly do both in resources at lifes and not our way. Besides where the hell is Bhutan?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Obviously not a rugby fan.

Ireland were abysmal at rugby in the 90s, and reached their highest rugby point ever only two years ago.

If you're looking for sporting inspiration look to Katie Taylor

Ye alright maybe it was the noughties then we done good in Rugby.

Yes Katie Taylor is some Woman. I wonder would she marry me ha some hope.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

M

Or build a Tunnel to Europe.

Quick calc...
    Distance is about 450km Rosslare to Brest.

2016 cost of EuroTunnel was €20 billion or so for 50km tunnel, lets say we get same rate nowadays because we will need one longer.

So around €180 billion should do it :D

http://ports.com/sea-route/port-of-brest,france/rosslare-europort,ireland/#/?a=3198&b=0&c=Rosslare%20Europort,%20Ireland&d=Port%20of%20Brest

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Let's just pick on the Brits now while we can. Europe hates them, we have one of our own supporters in the White House. A few sly digs, wait for the exaggerated retaliation, then get our new and old bigger friends to "hop in".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'd like to think we are not so downtrodden like I imagine it was in the 70s/80s.

There is a whole generation/s not lacking for confidence these days and for some time and righty so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

We didn't win very much even then. It was all in our heads.
    I mean in 1990, England Draw, Egypt Draw, Holland Draw, Romania Draw, won on penalties. Italy Loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Maybe a gold in Olympic breakdancing will change all that?

Well apparently the world champion is Irish and we brought back a host of medals from the last championship

Quick calc...

2016 cost of EuroTunnel was €20 billion or so for 50km tunnel, lets say we get same rate nowadays because we will need one longer.

http://ports.com/sea-route/port-of-brest,france/rosslare-europort,ireland/#/?a=3198&b=0&c=Rosslare%20Europort,%20Ireland&d=Port%20of%20Brest

We could do it far cheaper.

Eirgrid are laying a cable from France to Cork. We could attach a polythene tunnel to the cable as they drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

If Mayo win Sam this year most people would get a good auld kick out of it. Something different at least.

They haven't a focking snowball's unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Great idea.

To quote Blackadder

"the prerequisite for any battle was that the enemy should under no circumstances carry guns"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Still costly do both in resources at lifes and not our way. Besides where the hell is Bhutan?

I think you're overestimating Bhutan's army, this is a shoo in for us.

Doesn't matter where they are, we'll find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Quick calc...

It would be better value for money than bailing out the banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

There's no lack of confidence, just a sporting lull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I find this baffling i think we are more confident than we ever were.

M

It would be better value for money than bailing out the banks

Yes €40k for every person in the country it would be a lifetime job, great for tourism and freight. Jobs for thousands of people in the country during the build too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

If Mayo win Sam this year most people would get a good auld kick out of it. Something different at least.

They haven't a focking snowball's unfortunately.

:( don't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Basically the mindset that enabled successes under Jack was courtesy of a carefree, self confidence rooted in acknowledging our strengths, overcoming weaknesses and limitations... passion on the pitch, in the stands.. growing up... every one of us as 7 year olds, watched football on tv on Saturday afternoon then off with us to the green, 10 a side till it was dark...you don’t see that so much.

I’ve said before that on my road, three lads became professional footballers... one was a friend of mine who I played with he got a handful of caps under Trapp or McCarthy maybe both, I forget but a long career in the lower leagues in England, still playing....and two others both capped one played in World Cup ‘90.

I think now Ireland is very corporate. It’s changed. No kid is encouraged to make it as a professional footballer...be getting an education, job.... zzz.. the risk, romance has died p, the spirit that enabled that faded into obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think you're overestimating Bhutan's army, this is a shoo in for us.

Doesn't matter where they are, we'll find them.

But their army is the Indian Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

AMKC wrote:

I hear great things about coke!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We wait until England ignores the result of indyref2 and then invade Scotland.

Scotland surrenders immediately , we restablish Dal Riada. Scotland becomes now part of the EU because it's part of Ireland.

After a few years we can grant Scottish independence in return for the real prize. Rockall.

Advertisement