Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Launch Monitors

  • 10-12-2020 4:59pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭ benny79


    I see mcguirks are now selling 4 different types of launch monitors.

    1. Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor RRP - €649

    2. Swing Caddie SC200 RRP - €419

    3. PRGR - RRP - €229

    4. Swing Caddie SC300 RRP - €575

    Just wondering has anyone purchased any or would the recommend any?


    Also has anyone set up a a home simulator? I am toying with the idea probably pipe dreams stuff! As the launch monitors are €14,000 alone how they are so dear I just don't get. But as most people are building bars in the sheds these days. Id love to set up a home simulator. Rick Shiels has a good you tube video were he built a home simulator in his shed, looks class.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ Golfgraffix


    simulatedsports.ie

    talk to JP, you could do a full set up for about €10k


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭ Ivefoundgod


    Skytrak I think is quite reasonable and a decent entry to simulators. I don't think any of the ones McGuirks sell do any kind of simulation ASFAIK.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭ benny79


    simulatedsports.ie

    talk to JP, you could do a full set up for about €10k

    You ever think of getting one Golfgraffix?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ Golfgraffix


    benny79 wrote: »
    You ever think of getting one Golfgraffix?

    I have one, it’s I as


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    I have one, it’s I as

    Care to share a picture of the setup?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ Golfgraffix


    etxp wrote: »
    Care to share a picture of the setup?

    It’s dismantled at the moment, scaling down our old office to a newer smaller one.

    I’ll dig a pick of it out


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭ benny79


    Have you tried any of the launch monitors above Golfgraffix? or anyone else for that matter?

    The SC300 & PRGR got good reviews on you tube. Think you can pick up the SC300 cheaper on the net though.

    As it be I while before I'd be able to get a home simulator. Mainly space at the moment is the problem. Ive a small back garden.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    I have the PRGR got it at the start of Lockdown 2, have only been hitting it into a net at the moment.
    Hopefully get to the range soon to see how accurate it is.

    Swing speed was close enough to what I was on trackman so happy enough with it.

    Golfbidder had the SC300 for 375 sterling earlier in the year but last time I checked it was gone off the website.

    If it was me and I was considering SC300 I would fork out the extra for the Rapsodo, tops all the lists I have seen recently.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,580 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance


    I have the SC200 since the summer, accurate enough when I brought it to the practice holes on our course (target and laser tested). As a general rule of thumb, it's accurate with irons but loses accuracy with the big sticks.

    Using it indoors with a net during the winter so it limits the ability for the radar to give accurate distances but similar to extp, I've been using it and focusing on getting swing speeds consistent.

    Got it on Facebook marketplace for €180 so money well spent imo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭ benny79


    PARlance wrote: »
    I have the SC200 since the summer, accurate enough when I brought it to the practice holes on our course (target and laser tested). As a general rule of thumb, it's accurate with irons but loses accuracy with the big sticks.

    Using it indoors with a net during the winter so it limits the ability for the radar to give accurate distances but similar to extp, I've been using it and focusing on getting swing speeds consistent.

    Got it on Facebook marketplace for €180 so money well spent imo.

    Yeah on you tube it says the sc300 is more accurate on the big sticks than the sc200


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭ spacecoyote


    I have the SC200+

    It's pretty good. Bought it rather than the 200 model as it has a swing speed mode on it and I was using it for some overspeed training early in the year.

    It's not a simulator though. You can play some games with it. Itll give you a target distance and score your swing on the accuracy, things like that. Good for honing wedge distances


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭ Luckycharm


    benny79 wrote: »
    I see mcguirks are now selling 4 different types of launch monitors.

    1. Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor RRP - €649

    2. Swing Caddie SC200 RRP - €419

    3. PRGR - RRP - €229

    4. Swing Caddie SC300 RRP - €575

    Just wondering has anyone purchased any or would the recommend any?


    Also has anyone set up a a home simulator? I am toying with the idea probably pipe dreams stuff! As the launch monitors are €14,000 alone how they are so dear I just don't get. But as most people are building bars in the sheds these days. Id love to set up a home simulator. Rick Shiels has a good you tube video were he built a home simulator in his shed, looks class.

    A friend of mine has built a full simulator similar to the Rick Shields one, it is very good but chipping/putting is hard on it. Good from about 60-150yd etc. It is good fun and you can play courses etc but preferred the top tracer where you can see the full shape of your shot.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭ benny79


    People I think are getting confused. Im interested in getting a launch monitor for now. Especially since I switched to blades my distances are all over the place at the minute but would like to built a home simulator in the future :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,459 ✭✭✭✭ The_Kew_Tour


    Garmin G80 is excellent

    Plus it’s a gps too so win win.


  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ Innish_Rebel


    benny79 wrote: »

    Also has anyone set up a a home simulator? I am toying with the idea probably pipe dreams stuff! As the launch monitors are €14,000 alone how they are so dear I just don't get. But as most people are building bars in the sheds these days. Id love to set up a home simulator. Rick Shiels has a good you tube video were he built a home simulator in his shed, looks class.


    Hi Benny79,


    I have built a home simulator setup based on the Skytrack system. I will take a few pictures & upload when I get a chance.


    Depending on budget there are a few options. I went skytrak as it is the cheapest entry point with incredibly good performance. Another alternative is Mevo+ really good reviews as well but needs to sit 8-10 ft behind you and "see" the ball flight for similar distance that did not suit my garage. Skytrack is setup next to ball and only needs to see the first 6-12 inches of ball flight so distance to net/screen doesn't matter.


    I went with TGC2019 software & have a gaming PC with projector hitting into a screen so am playing a lot of real life courses & have joind an online tour where we play the current PGA tournament (Augusta was class a few weeka ago!!!). If you need any help or advice drop me a PM I can assure you I spent hours online reading up on ll the various options - I also know the system I will buy when I win the lottery!!!


    M.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭ benny79


    Hi Benny79,


    I have built a home simulator setup based on the Skytrack system. I will take a few pictures & upload when I get a chance.


    Depending on budget there are a few options. I went skytrak as it is the cheapest entry point with incredibly good performance. Another alternative is Mevo+ really good reviews as well but needs to sit 8-10 ft behind you and "see" the ball flight for similar distance that did not suit my garage. Skytrack is setup next to ball and only needs to see the first 6-12 inches of ball flight so distance to net/screen doesn't matter.


    I went with TGC2019 software & have a gaming PC with projector hitting into a screen so am playing a lot of real life courses & have joind an online tour where we play the current PGA tournament (Augusta was class a few weeka ago!!!). If you need any help or advice drop me a PM I can assure you I spent hours online reading up on ll the various options - I also know the system I will buy when I win the lottery!!!


    M.

    Cheers mate. May I ask roughly how much it costed? I was looking at reviews of the Mevo was more of people using it as a launch monitor at the range. Space is my problem as my back garden isnt that big but toying with the idea of getting a wooden shed and setting one up in that. My boss bought one 16ft x 10ft and insulted it and turned it into a bar! Looks class has 50 inch telly, sofa, chairs the works which gave me the idea. Unfortunately I dont have that space but dont think Id need that much for a home set up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭ Luckycharm


    Hi Benny79,


    I have built a home simulator setup based on the Skytrack system. I will take a few pictures & upload when I get a chance.


    Depending on budget there are a few options. I went skytrak as it is the cheapest entry point with incredibly good performance. Another alternative is Mevo+ really good reviews as well but needs to sit 8-10 ft behind you and "see" the ball flight for similar distance that did not suit my garage. Skytrack is setup next to ball and only needs to see the first 6-12 inches of ball flight so distance to net/screen doesn't matter.


    I went with TGC2019 software & have a gaming PC with projector hitting into a screen so am playing a lot of real life courses & have joind an online tour where we play the current PGA tournament (Augusta was class a few weeka ago!!!). If you need any help or advice drop me a PM I can assure you I spent hours online reading up on ll the various options - I also know the system I will buy when I win the lottery!!!


    M.

    How does the online tour work, do you have to download a new course each week is there a cost?


  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ Innish_Rebel


    Luckycharm wrote: »
    How does the online tour work, do you have to download a new course each week is there a cost?


    No it is based on TGC2019 software that has been modified by a company ProTee who've made the computer game take its ball flight data from the launch monitor instead of the XBOX controller/keyboard. The software is either a once off cost or a yearly subscription. As I've a young family and have for a few years dropped my golfclub membership I went with the full once off buy - I must say I do not regret it one bit. The online competitions I take part in are on:
    http://golfsimulatortours.com/home.php
    an example of a leader board (Masters 2020: over 200 played 3 rounds):
    http://golfsimulatortours.com/global-leaderboard.php?eventid=MDVhZmQzYzAxZDQxM2FmMDA5NzZkYWY0YzM2OGRlODEtNw==
    NET & GROSS scoring online - handicap is calculated from your online rounds - typically online you would be 8 - 10 shots better than real life (no bad lies etc...)



    The TGC2019 software has a course designer software so once you've internet you actually have access to 10,000's of courses that are on the platform & a lot have been very professionally created.


  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭ searay


    benny79 wrote: »
    I see mcguirks are now selling 4 different types of launch monitors.

    1. Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor RRP - €649

    2. Swing Caddie SC200 RRP - €419

    3. PRGR - RRP - €229

    4. Swing Caddie SC300 RRP - €575

    Just wondering has anyone purchased any or would the recommend any?


    Also has anyone set up a a home simulator? I am toying with the idea probably pipe dreams stuff! As the launch monitors are €14,000 alone how they are so dear I just don't get. But as most people are building bars in the sheds these days. Id love to set up a home simulator. Rick Shiels has a good you tube video were he built a home simulator in his shed, looks class.


    The 4 you've mentioned give data on distances and speeds going in a straight line and they are all useable on the range or course. They don't tell you whether it's a hook, or slice etc so they are of limited use in a net.

    For a simulator set-up, Skytrak is the starting point and it's selling for Sterling£2,000. Rick Shiels uses a GC Quad and they are a multiple of that.

    Forseight are advertising GCQuad simulator packages for over €20,000.


  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ Innish_Rebel


    benny79 wrote: »
    Cheers mate. May I ask roughly how much it costed? I was looking at reviews of the Mevo was more of people using it as a launch monitor at the range. Space is my problem as my back garden isnt that big but toying with the idea of getting a wooden shed and setting one up in that. My boss bought one 16ft x 10ft and insulted it and turned it into a bar! Looks class has 50 inch telly, sofa, chairs the works which gave me the idea. Unfortunately I dont have that space but dont think Id need that much for a home set up.


    Ah yes - I hope my wife doesn't read this forum!!!


    The Skytrak pack I got ~ €2,500 - this was my initial plan with a net & run from a cheap tablet... Then Covid lock-down happened & I did a bit of online retail therapy!!!

    TGC2019 software ~ €980 (one off payment or €520 annual sub)
    Hitting screen + high quality mat - in my opinion the money you spend on the mat is almost the most important - you need to make sure you don't risk injury by hitting off a bad mat; I got this from golfbays .co.uk hitting screen ~ €800 (I bought the metal poles here in Ireland - they will give you the exact measurement) Mat €450
    Then I went loopy - got a 2nd hand short throw projector & a top end gaming PC to run the TGC2019 software €2,000.


    So for me total all in: €6,750. Was it worth it? Well if the number of swings of a golf club is a measure - I am throwing out golf balls because they are cracked from being hit so many times. Both my kids are using it - especially my son as the TGC2019 has a few courses designed with parents and kids in mind so golf holes with par 4 tees at 150y & 400y so we can play the same course.


    Just one heads up - skytrak & mevo are under savage pressure to build and ship product - I think there are really long leadtimes right now so that might need to be taken into account.


    There is an absolutely awesome forum with other sim setups and answering questions - I'm not 100% on the rules of pointing people to other forums on here so PM me if you would like the link - it is a bit scary though - alot of Americans actually building rooms in their houses and fitting a sim...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭ benny79


    searay wrote: »
    The 4 you've mentioned give data on distances and speeds going in a straight line and they are all useable on the range or course. They don't tell you whether it's a hook, or slice etc so they are of limited use in a net.

    For a simulator set-up, Skytrak is the starting point and it's selling for Sterling£2,000. Rick Shiels uses a GC Quad and they are a multiple of that.

    Forseight are advertising GCQuad simulator packages for over €20,000.

    The Rapsodo has that shot tracker so shows you the shot shape so you can obviously tell if you hooked or sliced it. As the launch monitors dont tell you the face of path weather you were closed or open etc As I was chatting to the guy in Mcguirks yesterday He said thats the main difference between them and trackmans etc plus a bit more data. He did say he tested the Rapsodo against their trackman and the numbers were very closed if not the same. He was well impressed with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ Ath trasna


    @Innish_Rebel - Thanks for all the info that you have given so far, just wondering what kind of head height you have. I'm looking at building a shed this year to initially house a net to shoot into but further down the road would love to get some form of a simulator going. I have a 4mx4m base to work off but unsure of what height I need to go to. I was thinking I'd need to go to about 3m.


  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ Innish_Rebel


    Ath trasna wrote: »
    @Innish_Rebel - Thanks for all the info that you have given so far, just wondering what kind of head height you have. I'm looking at building a shed this year to initially house a net to shoot into but further down the road would love to get some form of a simulator going. I have a 4mx4m base to work off but unsure of what height I need to go to. I was thinking I'd need to go to about 3m.


    Hi Ath trasna, I'll measure tonight. I'm working in a garage & will admit there is 1 rafter that I need to shave a few mm's off. I've skimmed with the driver a few times but luckily only skimmed. Off the top of my head the rafter is at 9ft so 2.7m. I will double check though.


    For anyone looking at this also a few things - A 6'2" guy might swing flatter than a 5'8" guy so just looking at your height doesn't guarantee not hitting. And remember the max height of the club is near the end of the swing - so don't worry about directly above the ball placement, for a right handed golfer it is behind you over your left shoulder...


  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭ searay


    Ath trasna wrote: »
    @Innish_Rebel - Thanks for all the info that you have given so far, just wondering what kind of head height you have. I'm looking at building a shed this year to initially house a net to shoot into but further down the road would love to get some form of a simulator going. I have a 4mx4m base to work off but unsure of what height I need to go to. I was thinking I'd need to go to about 3m.


    If you join the skytrak users page on facebook you'll get to see lots of builds and the dimensions. I think 3m would be plenty provided you've no beams etc in the way.

    I'd be concerned that the 4m by 4m base isn't big enough though. You could lose 40-60cm off that for wall thickness. It also depends on how you set the screen up as to how much room you have to swing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭ benny79


    I have 16ft long and 9ft wide to work with. height wise I was told 91/2 ft to 10 ft.

    I was look at a 2.5m x 3.25m screen which is 8.2ft x 10.6ft height. That was with simulated sports. They all seem to 3.25m height.

    I have to get a shed first. I know my Boss got a 10ft x 16ft shed and made a bar out of it. Some job. But because I need a awkward size (9ft wide) might have to get one made. Unless anyone has and suggestions? I was wondering if shed company's would actually do this as there really only trimming a foot of the width.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    benny79 wrote: »
    I have 16ft long and 9ft wide to work with. height wise I was told 91/2 ft to 10 ft.

    I was look at a 2.5m x 3.25m screen which is 8.2ft x 10.6ft height. That was with simulated sports. They all seem to 3.25m height.

    I have to get a shed first. I know my Boss got a 10ft x 16ft shed and made a bar out of it. Some job. But because I need a awkward size (9ft wide) might have to get one made. Unless anyone has and suggestions? I was wondering if shed company's would actually do this as there really only trimming a foot of the width.

    I couldn't imagine the likes of Steeltech refusing to build you a custom shed. They could still use the sides they would just need to make new ends and roof parts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭ benny79


    etxp wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine the likes of Steeltech refusing to build you a custom shed. They could still use the sides they would just need to make new ends and roof parts.

    Yea that was my thinking. Hardly that big of a job.


Advertisement