Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleanser/ washing my face

Options
  • 10-12-2020 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Ladies, I thought you expert's may be able to me please. I'm in my mid thirties and have good skin. I hardly ever wear make up, I'm just not into it or massive beauty products. Weddings and nights out which I miss is the only time I wear it!!!

I don't really have a skin care routine. I wash my face with water really to wake myself up and put on moisturiser with and SPF and I'm done.

How do I cleanse or clean my face? I was in Boots yesterday and there was a mass of beauty products. I was baffled. I got a serum to put on before my moisturiser which promises to make me looking twenty years younger if I'm to believe the packaging!!!

So I thought before the serum and moisturiser went on I'd better clean my face.

Is there anything uncomplicated you'd recommend?
    Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lilydonoghue

Wash your face with Silcox base as a soap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Whats your budget and skin type?

Id suggest you get a good cleanser, a vitamin A+C serum, hydrating serum, moisturiser and spf.

Id highly recommend the full skingrediants range, All the products bar the salysilic acid(sp?) are suited to every skin type. I have combination, dehydrated, sensitive skin and they really sorted my skin out, Ive had no skin problems since using them. You can get the pro biotic cleanser, pre serum, vitamin serum, moisturiser and spf.
    Im currently not using the vitamin serum but as soon as I can afford it ill be including it back into my skincare routine. Currently using the image vitamin c hydrating anti age serum over skingrediants pre serum and theyre working great together. My skincare takes me less than 5 minutes, I mix my serums together and throw on a moisturiser and spf on top.

If skingrediants is above your budget id suggest Bioderma, MooGoo or Cerve. Bioderma do an excellent hydrating serum.

Forgot to add, when cleansing your face its best to massage the cleanser onto your face, run a facecloth under some hot water and wipe the cleanser off in circular motions.
    The facecloth will help remove dead skin and the heat will gently open your pores allowing the cleanser to clean them out.
    Then rinse your face with lukewarm water.

Never use water thats too hot or to cold directly onto your face as it can cause broken capillaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I tend to keep skincare simple as I just don't have the time with two young kids. You should check out kinvara cleansing oil ( all their products are great and not too pricey and Irish). Use the oil on your face then wash off with sponge or facecloth, removes make up too. Then I whack on their moisturiser and at night, the serum as well. I'm mid 30s and people are always complimenting my skin since I started using it

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thanks for the replies and information. My budget wouldn't be massive at all unfortunately. Twenty or thirty euro.
    I don't have sensitive or oily or dry skin.
    I'm going to look into the products all of you mentioned. Appreciate the guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Starting out, I would say to keep it simple! A non-foaming cleanser and facecloth / muslin cloth may be all you need, particularly if you have good skin anyway. No7 do a couple nice ones, there's a cleansing balm in a pot and a hot cloth cleanser in a pump bottle, both are lovely, they come with a muslin (though you can get more in packs from Penneys) and are around the €15 mark. With either, it's just a minute of massaging into a dry face and then wiping off with your cloth. It's recommended to do that twice - double cleanse - but if it's a no makeup day, and you haven't particularly oily skin, you mightn't feel the need. You're prepped for your serum and moisturiser then. Doesn't need to be too complicated :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I keep skincare very simple. I don't believe in skincare products and tbh I believe most of them are a fad, just like weightloss tablets etc, cashing in on peoples insecurities

Warm water, a soft cloth, and some basic soap does the job for me. Maybe a bit of micellar water on a cotton pad too. Maybe a small bit of basic moisturizer from time to time, but generally just warm water and soap and a soft cloth to pat dry.

Thanks for the replies and information. My budget wouldn't be massive at all unfortunately. Twenty or thirty euro.
    I don't have sensitive or oily or dry skin.
    I'm going to look into the products all of you mentioned. Appreciate the guidance

Then if I was you id go with Cerve. They use no irritants in their products like scents, perfumes or essential oils, theyre basic but do exactly what you need them to do.

I know natural brands like Kinavara work very well for lots of people but they often contain skin irritants like lavander oils.
    Skin care can be a bit of a trial and error as what can work for one person can cause reactions & acne breakouts on previously unproblematic skin on somebody else. Id suggest sticking to a brand thats basic and safe but works well like BioDerma or Cerve.

Even products like La Roche Pose can be irritating because of the high alcohol and perfume content in their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Then if I was you id go with Cerve. They use no irritants in their products like scents, perfumes or essential oils, theyre basic but do exactly what you need them to do.

I know natural brands like Kinavara work very well for lots of people but they often contain skin irritants like lavander oils.
    Skin care can be a bit of a trial and error as what can work for one person can cause reactions & acne breakouts on previously unproblematic skin on somebody else. Id suggest sticking to a brand thats basic and safe but works well like BioDerma or Cerve.

Even products like La Roche Pose can be irritating because of the high alcohol and perfume content in their products.

I agree - when it comes to your skin, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If you are happy with what you are doing and like the look of your skin.....keep doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 emeraldaisy

The Irish skincare industry has become such a money making machine and profit-driven joke. We are ruining our skin because it's so unregulated anf suppliers can feed us unsubstantiated claims and benefits that are just untrue. The skin is an organ, but we treat it like some kind of toy doll to be messed around with. Skin care companies such as skin nerd are giving online consultations (price of a doctor consultation without being medically trained?), recommending you spend hundreds of euro on products and supplements when non of these products (particulatly the supplements) are scientifically proven to give anything near the benefits they promise for your skin.

If you look at the product benefits claims made in most TV ads from Olay/loreal, they make big bold statements such as 'Visibly reduces the signs of ageing' but if you look closer, the study is based on 60% of 50 people or something ridiculous. The sample is too small to make such wide-sweeping claims and generalisations on efficacy.

It enranges me so much then to see all these beauty salons and online companies/influencers selling on these products for all their (unproven) claims / fake glory.

Keep it simple. No stupid branded cleanser mitts necessary.
    As my dermatologist says - get the basics right.
    AM - Splash of water, moisturise, SPF.
    PM - Gentle cleanser such as Cerave, moisturise, sleep!

I've struggled with my skin all my life because I fell for profit-driven skin consultations telling me to buy so-called cosmeceutical products. I thought if it was expensive it must be good, but I was so wrong. It is a farce. All these stupid products just further-sensitise our skin and waste our money.

I fell for marketing claims from the big companies and salon consultations like buying expensive stuff like potions and serums from Murad, Image, Environ, Elemis, etc. We don't need all these serums and need to stop allowing people to tell us we need them. It's one fad after another and people have no idea what they're actually puttin on their skin.

Even Clearasil which is so well known for spots is most of the time too harsh for acne skin! So no more I say!

Unfollow the influencers and the non-dermatologist so called skin-nerds.

You're so lucky to have nice skin, be kind to it and take care ;)

• Advertisement

the skincare industry has become such a money machine-profit-driven joke. Companies such as skin nerd giving online consultations, recommending you spend hundreds on products and supplements when non of these products are scientifically proven to do anything.

If you look at the benefit claims in most TV ads, they make mad statements such as 'Visibly reduces the signs of ageing' and the study is based on 60% of 50 people or something ridiculous. The sample is too small to make such wide-sweeping claims. It enranges me so much then to see all these beauty salons and online companies/influencers selling on these products for all their (unproven) claims / fake glory.

Keep it simple. No stupid branded cleanser mitts necessary.
    As my dermatologist says - get the basics right.
    AM - Splash of water, moisturise, SPF.
    PM - Gentle cleanser such as Cerave, moisturise, sleep!

I've struggled with my skin all my life because I fell for profit-driven skin consultations telling me to buy so-called cosmeceutical products. I thought if it was expensive it must be good, but I was so wrong. It is a farce. All these stupid products just further-sensitise our skin and waste our money.

I fell for marketing claims from the big companies, even Clearasil is too harsh for acne skin! So no more!

Unfollow the influencers and the non-dermatologist so called skin-nerds.

You're so lucky to have nice skin, be kind to it and take care ;)

Completely disagree with you about the Skin nerd, I used to have very problematic skin that was combination/dry with allot of sensitivity & rosacea. Since using skingrediants products I haven't had one rosacea flare up or any dryness. When I stop using the products for a week or two my skin goes back to how it used to be.
    She uses good ingredients that are very suited to all skin types.
    Each to their own and I agree for the most part, theres allot of misinformation but some products are actually brilliant and worth the cost. Image skincare is another expensive brand but worth the cost imo.

I'm really glad that's worked out for you! Especially such a sensitive skin issue.

The skin nerd cleanser made my skin very shiny but that's just me - know many do love it.

Like I had the worst acne flare up of my life recently and I turned to so many places for advice but I was told to buy more active stuff, buy more supplements etc. Promises were made based off exaggerated claims, that were just not right for me.

Think the system is just flawed at the moment. People often buy products for the wrong reasons.

I think we need better regulation of all the marketing claims and practices, as so many people are messing up their skin.

And that's not to take away from good products like what you've used, that work well for your skin needs.

I've used Image, Murad, Environ etc. - nothing worked better than a 12 euro bottle of Cerave and moisturiser. It's been life changing understanding what in the products and what to avoid.

It baffles me how people can think they need a pre serum, then a serum, and a pre cleanse and cleanse - and more.

All these things - it baffles me!

I'm really glad that's worked out for you! Especially such a sensitive skin issue.

The skin nerd cleanser made my skin very shiny but that's just me - know many do love it.

Like I had the worst acne flare up of my life recently and I turned to so many places for advice but I was told to buy more active stuff, buy more supplements etc. Promises were made based off exaggerated claims, that were just not right for me.

Think the system is just flawed at the moment. People often buy products for the wrong reasons.

I think we need better regulation of all the marketing claims and practices, as so many people are messing up their skin.

And that's not to take away from good products like what you've used, that work well for your skin needs.

I've used Image, Murad, Environ etc. - nothing worked better than a 12 euro bottle of Cerave and moisturiser. It's been life changing understanding what in the products and what to avoid.

It baffles me how people can think they need a pre serum, then a serum, and a pre cleanse and cleanse - and more.

All these things - it baffles me!

I agree, there are far to many products & brands making wild claims. For instance bust enhancing & cellulite creams should be band by law. No topical cream can change the fat or muscles under the skin. Same goes for anything sold over the counter that claims to reverse aging or get rid of wrinkles.

For everything else its trial and error and what will work for one person wont work for another.
    Cerve is great but for problematic skin it just doesnt do the job. I had adult acne a few years ago, ironally after using a new expensive cleanser that was wrong for my skin. I tried everything to clear it up - unfortunately products that treat acne like acids and actives irritate dryness and rosacea, my skin was a mess for over a year.
    I eventually went to my gp like I should have done in the first place and was prescribed Duac which cleared the acne all up.
    Went to the doctor for rosacea and was prescribed rozex but it did nothing to help.

I think it really depends on the type of skin you have, I have to use 2 serums - a pre serum for hydrating and a second vitamin serum. My skin needs all the moisture and hydration or it will be tight and flaky.
    Vitamin C is great for redness and rosacea. So 2 serums work for me but wouldnt work for someone with oily skin.
    I do a pre cleanse to take off makeup and then do a proper skin cleanse, If I dont wash my face properly ill develop papules after a week.

If I use a cheap cleanser - ive tried them all at this stage - my skin will sting, burn, dry out and turn red. If I use a good quality cleanser like the skingrediants probiotic or image vital C, the ingredients wont irritate me, theyre hydrating and both contain ingredients that calm redness and sensitivity.

My skin has never been better since I started souble cleansing, using 2 serums and finding products that suit my skin. Took me 6 years to finally find products that work for me. Just wish they wearnt so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Ladies, I thought you expert's may be able to me please. I'm in my mid thirties and have good skin. I hardly ever wear make up, I'm just not into it or massive beauty products. Weddings and nights out which I miss is the only time I wear it!!!

I don't really have a skin care routine. I wash my face with water really to wake myself up and put on moisturiser with and SPF and I'm done.

How do I cleanse or clean my face? I was in Boots yesterday and there was a mass of beauty products. I was baffled. I got a serum to put on before my moisturiser which promises to make me looking twenty years younger if I'm to believe the packaging!!!

So I thought before the serum and moisturiser went on I'd better clean my face.

Is there anything uncomplicated you'd recommend?
    Thanks for the help

Just rinse your face with water. If you want a deeper clean use a facecloth once or twice a week. A lot of these cleansers are meant for people who regularly wear makeup. Your skin is in good condition as is, using extra products generally just irritates it.

I agree, there are far to many products & brands making wild claims. For instance bust enhancing & cellulite creams should be band by law. No topical cream can change the fat or muscles under the skin. Same goes for anything sold over the counter that claims to reverse aging or get rid of wrinkles.

For everything else its trial and error and what will work for one person wont work for another.
    Cerve is great but for problematic skin it just doesnt do the job. I had adult acne a few years ago, ironally after using a new expensive cleanser that was wrong for my skin. I tried everything to clear it up - unfortunately products that treat acne like acids and actives irritate dryness and rosacea, my skin was a mess for over a year.
    I eventually went to my gp like I should have done in the first place and was prescribed Duac which cleared the acne all up.
    Went to the doctor for rosacea and was prescribed rozex but it did nothing to help.

I think it really depends on the type of skin you have, I have to use 2 serums - a pre serum for hydrating and a second vitamin serum. My skin needs all the moisture and hydration or it will be tight and flaky.
    Vitamin C is great for redness and rosacea. So 2 serums work for me but wouldnt work for someone with oily skin.
    I do a pre cleanse to take off makeup and then do a proper skin cleanse, If I dont wash my face properly ill develop papules after a week.

If I use a cheap cleanser - ive tried them all at this stage - my skin will sting, burn, dry out and turn red. If I use a good quality cleanser like the skingrediants probiotic or image vital C, the ingredients wont irritate me, theyre hydrating and both contain ingredients that calm redness and sensitivity.

My skin has never been better since I started double cleansing, using 2 serums and finding products that suit my skin. Took me 6 years to finally find products that work for me. Just wish they wearnt so expensive.

Yeah I agree - everyone is different. Yes ironic that your adult acne came on after you used a probably unsuitable cleanser. Feel like we sometimes pay the price for not fully knowing what's in our products. But again, delighted you have a routine that works now for you!

I've used the Image Vital C cream cleanser myself for a while. It didn't agree so well with my acne-prone skin I remember. It's likely due to higher level of Vit C. But that got recommended to me from my local salon (very well reputed place). It's tough!

I just wonder where would our skin be now if we didn't mess so much with our skin all them years back. I know I was so easily influenced. I wish I had known then, what I know now.

I recognise the products you use are expensive but I don't think that necessarily means expensive is good. I think the main thing is that it has quality ingredients, that match your skin type.

Duac is great. Wish dermatologists were easier to access here in Ireland. That's probably a big part of the problem! I finally went to one. I got prescribed Epiduo (a mix of Adapalene & Benzoly Peroxide) for my acne. It's clearing it up but unfortunately I have scars.

I feel these brands and consultants have a duty of care, especially with the power of social these days. Not all advice is right and profit-motives/incentives concern me as it's having negative consequences for some people.

Influencers now pushing products too, sometimes not even adding disclaimers to state they are ads/partnerships. They're influencing a large (often young) audience who are going out and buying products without knowing if it works, suits their skin or if it's even needed.

Yeah I agree - everyone is different. Yes ironic that your adult acne came on after you used a probably unsuitable cleanser. Feel like we sometimes pay the price for not fully knowing what's in our products. But again, delighted you have a routine that works now for you!

I've used the Image Vital C cream cleanser myself for a while. It didn't agree so well with my acne-prone skin I remember. It's likely due to higher level of Vit C. But that got recommended to me from my local salon (very well reputed place). It's tough!

I just wonder where would our skin be now if we didn't mess so much with our skin all them years back. I know I was so easily influenced. I wish I had known then, what I know now.

I recognise the products you use are expensive but I don't think that necessarily means expensive is good. I think the main thing is that it has quality ingredients, that match your skin type.

Duac is great. Wish dermatologists were easier to access here in Ireland. That's probably a big part of the problem! I finally went to one. I got prescribed Epiduo (a mix of Adapalene & Benzoly Peroxide) for my acne. It's clearing it up but unfortunately I have scars.

I feel these brands and consultants have a duty of care, especially with the power of social these days. Not all advice is right and profit-motives/incentives concern me as it's having negative consequences for some people.

Influencers now pushing products too, sometimes not even adding disclaimers to state they are ads/partnerships. They're influencing a large (often young) audience who are going out and buying products without knowing if it works, suits their skin or if it's even needed.

So much, well I did know what was in it I just didnt know I was allergic to the ingredients, it had essential oils which id never used before. Ironically the cleanser was suited to acne/oily prone skin.

I went into Renew before and they recommended me products that destroyed my skin, they should have recommended me the vital C range but instead they recommended me products for oily skin - they said rosacea is a type of acne, I now know theres different types of rosacea and I dont have the acne type. As far as I know the vital C range is for dry & sensitive skin, dont know why you were recommended it for oily skin.

My mother doesnt use any skin products, my aunty uses expensive products that are bought in the chemist and there is no difference in their skin at all and they both look like theyre in their 60's.
    That said my other aunty uses high quality products, goes to a skin technician who she trusts and knows her skin and she looks 20 years younger than my mother and aunty despite only being a few years between them.
    I do believe that good quality products make a difference to skin health.

You might have had a bad experience with a salon but theyre not all like that, ive had bad experiences too but through trial and error I found a salon I really trust and who understand rosacea prone skin.

I wouldnt buy anything thats being hyped up social media influencers, I know what ingrediants work with my skin and ill happily pay 50 euro for a serum over a 10 euro one if I know the ingredients are superior.

A 10 euro vitamin c serum for example is likely to have high contents of alcohol and other irritating or drying ingredients. A more expensive product from the right brand will have a much more concentrated formula with antioxidants and ingredients that hydrate and desensitize skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I have very sensitive skin.
    Can't stand anything that needs to be rinsed out.
    Used sensitive milk type cleanser for ages, then switched to sensitive micellar water (I alternate the pharmacy brands Avene, La Roche Posay, Bioderma) and then rinse with spray thermal water.
    Quite happy with this routine for the last couple of years, and it is budget friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Have you ever tried olive oil/shea butter-based soaps? This shop sells hand made locally produced soaps from County Donegal.

No more having to use moisturiser to help with dry skin, because these soaps do not dry your skin in the first place. Have a look

https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/KiloSoapCo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

The Ordinary are great. Get the Squalane Cleanser, Natural Moisturisering Factors, and Hyaluronic Acid 2% and you're good to go with a basic skincare routine for less than 20euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

I use Simple brand micellar water, in the green bottle, on a disposable cotton round. Face, neck, behind the ears, before bed. Garnier brand micellar water is good too but you have to look at the ingredients in any of them. In the morning a steaming hot wash cloth.

I'm a man. I don't like to fool around with scent or chemicals but I like a clean face. Micellar water was a whole new world to me, much better than soap and water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

A lot of people have issues with miscellar water if it's not rinsed off their skin (so fine to remove makeup before cleansing face).

I like Cerava Hydrating gel cleanser with a microfiber cloth, gets my skin very clean and it's non irritating / drying. In general I like Cerava products, they're simple and no fuss. The Ordinary have a nice Squalene cleanser but it's more expensive (by volume).
    I like the Cerava SA cleanser for occasional use for acne, maybe 3 times a week.

A good cleanser, spf and moisturiser is all you really need to get you started. I'm a fan of hydrating serums before spf/moistiser (nothing overly fussy - curel hydrating lotion is excellent), and chemical exfoliants a few times a week (Cerava SA cleanser is one, pixi glow tonic, The Ordinary lactic acid).

You can get very fussy with skincare but you need a good basic starting point or the rest is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I got the skingredients core 4 for Christmas and despite the amount of crap food I've been eating my skin has never looked better!
    I'm delighted with it. I don't use the moisturiser at night I use a rich hydrating one from Beauty Bays own brand.

I don't have bad skin,just dry with the odd hormonal spot but this is a simple routine and I'm happy out. I've never used retinol before so I'm thinking that might be the key.

Before this is used a mix of the ordinary,cerave,vichy and whatever else I'd get through random gift sets.

My main issue is coldsores when I'm stressed or run down.Bar the fact they're painful and rotten looking I end up with dry red patches after they eventually go away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have a look into selenium or lysine supplements for the cold sores.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Twee. wrote: »
    Have a look into selenium or lysine supplements for the cold sores.

I take lysine daily and was even given prescription tablets to help stop/shorten an outbreak but they didn't help(they were actually for shingles but apparently the virus is very similar).I get them less often than I have in previous years.I only had one in the last 4 months.Had a bad run at the start of the summer though,3 in a row:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ah damn, sorry to hear that! They are such a pain for so many reasons. Like you have had them after being stressed or run down. Had a bad one on my 30th, was so annoyed!!

Advertisement