Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Rural Fibre Connection

Options
  • 10-12-2020 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

We got Fibre b/b in the local area approximately just over 12 months ago. At the time we enquired with Eir about getting it but we couldn’t get a suitable tariff to suit both landline and fibre, so we stuck with our original 1.5/2 meg broadband. However over the last year the broadband speed has dwindled to virtually nothing. We contacted eir after the last bill was received near the end of November and they were in a position to offer us a good deal and would have it fitted before Christmas.
    We were told it would be fitted last week, we got a call from a 3rd party contractor to say they would be here to make the connections between 9:30 and 13:30. The engineer arrived and explained that the connections cannot be made as my neighbour has 3 palm trees in there front lawn that are within 2 meters of the original Eir line which the fibre line would be attached to.. There are also some trees which are inside our own boundaries which need to be reduced which is no problem. I wouldn’t be in a position to ask my neighbour to reduce the tops of these trees as there the type of folk who would take great delight in knowing they’d stop me from getting broadband and certainly not agree to it..
    However every 3 or 4 years ESB cut the required distance off trees and branches to ensure that lines are not damaged by them.. Should eir be doing this too.
    Im quietly confident I won’t have this rectified before Christmas but fairly peeved that the broadband connection box is on a pole n my land as are all the poles required i still cannot get broadband..

We have had no contact from eir since the job failed to be completed and were disconnected after 45 minutes on hold.

Would there be any point in making correspondence with Com Reg? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Could you get rid of neighbours? Seems like the most realistic scenario for getting fibre optic installed. Unless you could afford ducting ( bypassing neighbours property) connecting DP box with you house. Could you erect new telephone pole to bypass neighbours property altogether or just to bring fibre above the palm tree?
    ps. Sorry for the bad news.
    ESB and telecom working under different legislation, no comparison there .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would there be any point in making correspondence with Com Reg? Any advice appreciated.

Nope.

You can:
    A) Wait and hope ESB top them
    B) Trench your garden and fit a duct to the boundary then ask OpenEir to use that
    C) Negotiate with the Jones'.

Advertisement