Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Dublin

Options
  • 10-12-2020 6:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

For the past six weeks I have been continuously sending messages on daft regarding one bed apartments to rent in and around Dublin west. From approximately 50 messages I have yet to have one response! As a first time renter, female professional and homeowner I would appreciate any assistance in navigating this area!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭DubCount

Consider your initial contact/email. It sounds like other potential renters are putting forward a more attractive pitch. Work on putting together a professional email highlighting your positives to a prospective Landlord such as professional (if you are working for a big company unaffected by Covid, say who they are), homeowner etc.

Also consider whether you could offer a higher deposit. This might also set you apart from the competition.

Finally, maybe consider broadening your search area to include Dublin Central etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You need to get in as soon as the advert goes up. I assume you're using alerts. As above you have to do a bit of a sales pitch - as mad as that is when trying to buy a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

dublinwest wrote: »
    For the past six weeks I have been continuously sending messages on daft regarding one bed apartments to rent in and around Dublin west. From approximately 50 messages I have yet to have one response! As a first time renter, female professional and homeowner I would appreciate any assistance in navigating this area!

Post an example of the text from one of your relies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-rent/west-co-dublin-dublin/apartments?numBeds_from=1&numBeds_to=1&sort=priceDesc
    18 properties on that list

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-rent/west-co-dublin-dublin/apartments?numBeds_from=2&numBeds_to=2&sort=priceAsc
    48 on that list of 2 beds and some of them are cheaper than the more expensive 1 beds
    plenty of choice our there in Dublin West
    Over 3000 adverts on Daft for Dublin alone and some of them will have multiple units available
    That's as high as its been in years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭DubCount

brisan wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/property-for-rent/west-co-dublin-dublin/apartments?numBeds_from=1&numBeds_to=1&sort=priceDesc
    18 properties on that list

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-rent/west-co-dublin-dublin/apartments?numBeds_from=2&numBeds_to=2&sort=priceAsc
    48 on that list of 2 beds and some of them are cheaper than the more expensive 1 beds
    plenty of choice our there in Dublin West
    Over 3000 adverts on Daft for Dublin alone and some of them will have multiple units available
    That's as high as its been in years

OP has answered 50 adverts on Daft with no reply. I'm not sure how saying there are loads of adverts on Daft is helping. I agree there is more supply now than this time last year, but that is not much comfort to OP if they cant get a viewing. OP is not alone on this. I had a call from a friend in North Dublin who is having the exact same experience. Even with more rentals on the market, finding a rental in Dublin is clearly not as easy as it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Ive had luck emailing even when theres a phone number, some folks appreciate replying on their own accord, but ymmv

I have gotten good feedback on our blurb from landlords, enough to get viewings at least.

I use a friendly, casual tone to introduce who wil be renting. I mention where i work, how long ive worked there and the fact i have reference from my employer. I mention where Ive lived (mostly because I'm looking on the same area) and that i have references from those as well.

Try to mke it specific mention something about the property that stood out to you so they feel a connection to your msg rather than a copy paste job (even though thats pretty much what it is) and probably the single most important thing, address the message to the name on the advert to personalise.

Its kind of sad but you have to treat it like a job application. you need to try and have the landlord go: this person sounds great, I want to hear more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP. Put in the text you are sending.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Over the years you would not believe the emails I have received from potential tenants. Many I just deleted. Latest was from one potential tenant ‘you want to rent I am the perfect tenant. Enough said ring me.’.
    First impression is key.
    Yes write as if you are applying for a job. Why you want the property, your job security and who you work for. State reason why you want to rent and for how long. You are a home owner then state where it is. Also if you have the funds for deposit and rent. Confirm you can forward details on request plus references and id.
    In the mean time check your Facebook or twitter and the like to see if there is anything putting landlords off.
    I have had many that looks great on the email and then checked their Facebook only to see parties, drink and the rest you can imagine. Now not saying you are that way but worth checking anyway.

I helped a teenager get a job. He applied to 50jobs and did not even get a reply. His cv was not great but he had a woeful Facebook page and I was surprised his parents did not pick him up on it. Once he cleaned up he started to apply for jobs and received one within a week.
    Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

yeah sounds like the initial email may be the issue. As other posters have said maybe look at it again. Maybe mention if you have deposit and references available. Be first to reply and have your documents ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

DubCount wrote: »
    OP has answered 50 adverts on Daft with no reply. I'm not sure how saying there are loads of adverts on Daft is helping. I agree there is more supply now than this time last year, but that is not much comfort to OP if they cant get a viewing. OP is not alone on this. I had a call from a friend in North Dublin who is having the exact same experience. Even with more rentals on the market, finding a rental in Dublin is clearly not as easy as it should be.

would disagree as I am a renter and moved earlier this year. It requires effort and preparation but there are properties available.

Took me 3 weeks to find a new flat but I tackled it like a job. Sell yourself and be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 PierreLeCake

Yep. This comes up every now and again. As other posters have said you have to sell yourself.Even though there are more properties to rent at the moment Landlords would still be getting a lot of queries.Its been a few years since I last rented my property but I had over 400 queries in just 2 days.It would be impossible to answer every one.
    I only wanted so show the property to a few people so it was people who stood out who got the invite to view. People who give a lot of information help me decide if I want to show or rent to them. So you should be replying as follows
    "Hi I am interested in renting your apartment. I am a single female professional who has been working for BIG3 Accountancy for the last 5 years. I am currently looking to move apartments as my current landlord is selling up. I have previous landlord and employer references and I have the first months rent and deposit"
    People who email "is de flat still available" tend not to get a reply. I don't want to be toing and frowing via email with just one person.
    As a landlord I am always interested in why a person is leaving their previous accommodation. Are they being kicked out. Did they not pay their rent.Were they a pain to deal with.
    Landlords tend to be conservative with a long list of prejudice's which I can't post here but common sense should tell you the types of people no landlord wants. if you have Social Media web pages showing you out partying morning, noon and night then that gives a Landlord pause for thought. Are you posting Left wing views. You would be surprised how that would be off putting to a Landlord as most Left wing ideology is anti-landlord. So when looking for a place to rent conservative and boring is good.
    Whether you like it or not this is an interview and you have to make yourself more attractive as a tenant than anybody else.The first hurdle is getting the interview/ house viewing.If you get that far you then have the opportunity to sell yourself to the Landlord as a suitable tenant.
    You are failing at the first hurdle. What have you been saying in your queries. Give a few samples here and we might be able to steer you in the right direction.Is this your first time renting by the way.

Advertisement