Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contractors choice of tractors

Options
  • 09-12-2020 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭

Mainly nh first and jd second around here. They have the lions share for sure. Are Massey popular with contractors anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Mainly nh first and jd second around here. They have the lions share for sure. Are Massey popular with contractors anywhere?

They all. Probly follow their local garage, balieborough in cavan has the nearest massey agent so has a fair share around there. Then clarkes of cavan have the valtra dealership, they seem the most popular in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭amacca

One near enough to me uses nearly nothing but....cant recall seeing anything but Masseys being used apart from the machine used for silage raking.

Presume when you are at scale what matters most is the back up support from the dealer/distributer and if you are a good customer you get that with most of the bigger makes whether its red, blue or green.

Afaic they are nearly all overly complicated tat with planned obsolescence baked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

Jb1989 wrote: »
    They all. Probly follow their local garage, balieborough in cavan has the nearest massey agent so has a fair share around there. Then clarkes of cavan have the valtra dealership, they seem the most popular in the area.

Valmets were very popular but Valtras aren't big sellers from what i see.
    Contractors are going for Masseys and New Hollands around here or an odd Fendt if they want to show off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

around here it was all Massey till Flynns closed up

Then Claas due mostly to finance agreements but they have definitely lost market to others in the last 2-3 years, but I see a good few Massey coming back due to fuel efficiency and the engines.

Within 30/40 min drive we would be at a JD, MF , NH, claas , Valtra dealership Fendt would be about an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Theres a mix of tractors here. One contractor runs all NH. Another has JD and NH. Then theres other fellas with Massey and Claas, and another with Fendt, JCB and NH. If was going contracting I'd probably stick with basic Claas and New Hollands. New Hollands are grand and simple to operate. Claas is too but has a more comfortable cab.

If I was doing any precision work I'd get a 724 Fendt with it's own specific driver. Plenty of power without getting a bulky machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Theres a mix of tractors here. One contractor runs all NH. Another has JD and NH. Then theres other fellas with Massey and Claas, and another with Fendt, JCB and NH. If was going contracting I'd probably stick with basic Claas and New Hollands. New Hollands are grand and simple to operate. Claas is too but has a more comfortable cab.

If I was doing any precision work I'd get a 724 Fendt with it's own specific driver. Plenty of power without getting a bulky machine.

There can be 20-25% difference in the same base spec to full spec model of the nominally same tractor if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I run New Holland , Valtra, Fastrack, i have always had a policy one man one tractor especially these days. I had a neighbour that did contracting until people stop getting him due to blagarding machinery he had a grand Fendt the engine had to be done after three years everybody driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭Grueller

Biggest outfit around South Carlow, South Wicklow, North Wexford run mainly Claas Arion 650s, Axion 810s, a Fendt 716, a Fendt 724, Krone Big X forager, Claas Lexion combine JCB farmmaster shovel (unsure of number) and a Claas telehandler.
    The JCB replaced a Volvo L90 shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Grueller wrote: »
    Biggest outfit around South Carlow, South Wicklow, North Wexford run mainly Claas Arion 650s, Axion 810s, a Fendt 716, a Fendt 724, Krone Big X forager, Claas Lexion combine JCB farmmaster shovel (unsure of number) and a Claas telehandler.
    The JCB replaced a Volvo L90 shovel.

Ailfe runs a serious operation, covers a big area

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭deise toffee

Zetor all the way

• Advertisement
Advertisement