Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help buying laptop for design software

Options
  • 09-12-2020 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm trying to help a friend of mine find a suitable laptop for his work.
    He's a carpenter and needs it for use with his CNC Router machine, and to run Fusion 360 software.

He's sent me a photo of requirements for fusion, but we're both a bit lost with it to be honest.
    I've attached the photo, and would really appreciate any suggestions.
    His budget is roughly 700 - 800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Look at your screenshot....

535677.jpg

Its for a totally different package.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Fusion-360.html
    Operating System Apple® macOS™ Big Sur 11.0*; Catalina 10.15; Mojave v10.14; High Sierra v10.13** (learn more about Apple Security Updates)

Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64 bit) (until January 2023)***

Microsoft Windows Windows 10 (64-bit) Semi-Annual Release Channel
    CPU Type x86-based 64-bit processor (e.g. Intel Core i, AMD Ryzen series), 4 cores, 1.7 GHz or greater; 32-bit not supported
    ARM-based processors partially supported via Rosetta 2 only - see this post for more information.
    Memory 4 GB of RAM (integrated graphics recommend 6 GB or more)
    Graphics Card Supported for DirectX 11 or greater
    Dedicated GPU with 1 GB or more of VRAM
    Integrated graphics with 6 GB or more of RAM
    Disk Space 3 GB of storage
    Display Resolution 1366 x 768 (1920 x 1080 or greater at 100% scale strongly recommended)
    Pointing Device HID-compliant mouse or trackpad, optional Wacom® tablet and 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse® support
    Internet 2.5 Mbps or faster download; 500 Kbps or faster upload
    Dependencies .NET Framework 4.5, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.2+

They seem to be concrete on requiring VRAM so you're into low end gaming laptops. CNCs arent portable, could he not use a desktop? More resistant to abuse in a workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Creeping Death

Thanks for looking.

He's got back to me now, and is actually looking at a gaming laptop now himself that he thinks might be suitable for it.
    A bit more than his initial budget, but seems happy to go for it if it'll work.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/lenovo-legion-5p-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-rtx-2060-256-gb-ssd-10205989-pdt.html

That's Lenovo Legion is a well-specced and solidly built laptop that will meet his needs

not a bad price relatively for it either

good screen also

cheap 8gb ram upgrade to bring it up to 16gb from amazon 8gb ddr sodimm 3200mhz single is what is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Creeping Death

Thanks for the pointers folks, he's gone and bought the Lenovo Legion for himself today.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just hope it never breaks, Currys are a total shower to deal with for returns/RMAs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement