Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tidying Shotgun cabling

Options
  • 09-12-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to tidy up some shotgun cabling that exist from a multiswitch. Is it a no-no to bend sat cable to 90deg or how much of a radius can you have on the corner?

Image of setup attached.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

A 90 degree bend would be severe, although it would be more serious for transmission cable, than receiving.

The principle of coax is that the centre conductor is separated from the shield by a very specific distance, throughout the cable length. Causing a kink will change that distance at a point and affect the overall impedance, although as said, it's more an issue for transmission, than reception.

Generally, try to keep bending to a minimum and certainly not resulting in a visible kink to the outer shield covering. A quick google will show some info on bend radius, a lot of it is theory for perfect conditions, but if it looks tight, it's probably too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thought as much. Can't really see how to tidy it up without causing some compression somewhere.
    Looks awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Move the multiswitch higher and to the left to take up most of the slack/have a better curve and then clip the cable in place with that curve, no sharp turns?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe something like this would help the worst of them .......

http://sat-planet.ie/f-type-right-angle-90-degree-connector-adapter-plug

and here also

https://www.freetv.ie/right-angle-f-type-adapter/

You might also be able to source 45 degree adapters .......

coaxial-male-plug-to-f-female-jack-adapter-90-degree-500x500_0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's hard to see the multiswitch in a wider context there, and no idea what way is up and which down, but could you not just rotate the multiswitch by 90 degrees to avoid the bends?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    It's hard to see the multiswitch in a wider context there, and no idea what way is up and which down, but could you not just rotate the multiswitch by 90 degrees to avoid the bends?

The input feeds from the top would then need to go through 90deg. I'd have to increase the opening at the top and then get 45deg connectors to get them to align. TBH - I'd also prefer to keep the current orientation of the switch.
    With the outputs being shotgun they are more difficult to handle. The inputs are singles, a bit more easy to work with.

It cannot be moved higher - the photo is deceptive. It is already quite close to the top and the input feeds already need to bend inwards to get through the access gap. I can't go up any more as it will just be too awkward to screw/unscrew the cables.

Would adding 90deg/45 deg connectors not just increase losses in the cabling?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The input feeds from the top would then need to go through 90deg. I'd have to increase the opening at the top and then get 45deg connectors to get them to align. TBH - I'd also prefer to keep the current orientation of the switch.
    With the outputs being shotgun they are more difficult to handle. The inputs are singles, a bit more easy to work with.

It cannot be moved higher - the photo is deceptive. It is already quite close to the top and the input feeds already need to bend inwards to get through the access gap. I can't go up any more as it will just be too awkward to screw/unscrew the cables.

Would adding 90deg/45 deg connectors not just increase losses in the cabling?

Not appreciably so.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Would moving and rotating the brush plate to below the switch help if possible? Maybe use a blanking plate to cover the existing hole?

Darando wrote: »
    Would moving and rotating the brush plate to below the switch help if possible? Maybe use a blanking plate to cover the existing hole?

That might be an idea. It does look awful at the minute the way it is. I'll take another look into that - it might not be so easy though as the consumer unit is directly below.

Anyone know where I can get 45 degree f connector joint?
    Looks like mounting it vertically it's the optimal solution, but will only work if I can get the cables down from the top neatly. Thought about 90 degree connector joints, but i would have to use small lengths of cabling to step out each of the switch inputs. Will look sh1te that way.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately they don't ship here.
    Might try Ali express.

'Something like', maybe, but those are SMA connectors.

Just noticed that!
    Looks like 45degree f-type connectors don't exist.

Just read this:
    https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index.php?threads/45-degree-coax-connectors.221657/

That's enough Internet for one night...

Advertisement