Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the device beside my electric meter

Options
  • 09-12-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I’ve a Grasslin type programmer (Connected to my ESB meter

I thought I could upload pics but don’t see an option to do so

I live in a ground floor apartment and it seems I’m the only neighbour to have this additional feature

The Grasslin device has a time on it and buttons that looks like it’s a timer

Would anyone be able to let me know what it is

You’d be a star if you replied :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭walshtipp

I’ve a Grasslin type programmer (Connected to my ESB meter

I thought I could upload pics but don’t see an option to do so

I live in a ground floor apartment and it seems I’m the only neighbour to have this additional feature

The Grasslin device has a time on it and buttons that looks like it’s a timer

Would anyone be able to let me know what it is

You’d be a star if you replied :-)

Its probably a timeclock for switching the meter between day and night units. Are you on a nightsaver electricity plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

walshtipp wrote: »
    Its probably a timeclock for switching the meter between day and night units. Are you on a nightsaver electricity plan?

I hate to be ‘that kind of person’ but I don’t think so...

I used to have storage heaters but last Feb, removed them in favour of electric radiators instead

None of my neighbours had them so was wondering what it was

What effect would it have and do I need to have it? (My electric bills are extortionate at moment so I’m researching everything)

You’ll regret replying now :-)

I’m able to load a pic if this of any help - it’s the white box beside the meter

Look no further than your electric radiators

That is 100% a day/night timeclock. That brown cable coming out the right is for switching on your storage heaters at night time. You said you no longer have storage heaters. Have a look at your bill for a meter configuration code (MCC) MCC03 is for 24hr units + night storage heating. I suspect that is what you have.

That is 100% a day/night timeclock. That brown cable coming out the right is for switching on your storage heaters at night time. You said you no longer have storage heaters. Have a look at your bill for a meter configuration code (MCC) MCC03 is for 24hr units + night storage heating. I suspect that is what you have.

Thanks a mill
    My bill states MCC02

Now that I’ve no storage heaters - do I need this device - is it having an impact or do I just leave it?

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill
    My bill states MCC02

Now that I’ve no storage heaters - do I need this device - is it having an impact or do I just leave it?

MCC02 means day/night configuration. You get cheaper units at night, 11pm-8am during winter and 12am-9am during summer. You need to be using some units at night to get the benefit of this configuration, as the day units are more expensive on this plan that if you were on 24hr units. This clock is actively being used in your case to switch the meter between day and night, therefore it has to stay.

MCC02 means day/night configuration. You get cheaper units at night, 11pm-8am during winter and 12am-9am during summer. You need to be using some units at night to get the benefit of this configuration, as the day units are more expensive on this plan that if you were on 24hr units. This clock is actively being used in your case to switch the meter between day and night, therefore it has to stay.

You’ve been fantastic helping- thanks a million :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lostman666

I hate to be ‘that kind of person’ but I don’t think so...

I used to have storage heaters but last Feb, removed them in favour of electric radiators instead

None of my neighbours had them so was wondering what it was

What effect would it have and do I need to have it? (My electric bills are extortionate at moment so I’m researching everything)

You’ll regret replying now :-)

I’m able to load a pic if this of any help - it’s the white box beside the meter

Whats the device in the bottom right and why does it appear that the earth wires se different sizes?

lostman666 wrote: »
    Whats the device in the bottom right and why does it appear that the earth wires se different sizes?

I’ve no ideas - I’m pretty clueless

lostman666 wrote: »

That is a single phase isolator switch, to allow the customer/electrician to switch off supply from meter cabinet. The earth cable here would be 16mm2 size. They probably just look different because of variance in insulation thickness or possibly ESB earth is smaller from old standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

That is a single phase isolator switch, to allow the customer/electrician to switch off supply from meter cabinet. The earth cable here would be 16mm2 size. They probably just look different because of variance in insulation thickness or possibly ESB earth is smaller from old standards.

They allowed you to switch off the supply to the main distribution board and also allowed ESBN to wire to the cabinet independently of the electrician, they just fitted the isolator and weren't waiting on REC tails to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

ESBN brought in the REC sealed meter after that with a SP switch in it ,Similar idea to the isolator

Then the Main overcurrent device in the cabinet came in to protect the tails

Not sure if they're still using REC sealed meters?

Advertisement