Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows repair & Composite Door Cost

Options
  • 09-12-2020 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I am considering replacing glazing seals and draught seals/ hinges on aluminium windows, has anyone had this done and what was the result?

Also interested in the costs involved.

Also, I am thinking about a composite door and wondering what the cost would be for a plain one with no glass? Obviously, a how long is a piece of string question, but just to give me a guide.

Recommendations by PM if you have one on the north side of Dublin.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

davindub wrote: »
    I am considering replacing glazing seals and draught seals/ hinges on aluminium windows, has anyone had this done and what was the result?

Also, I am thinking about a composite door and wondering what the cost would be for a plain one with no glass? Obviously, a how long is a piece of string question, but just to give me a guide.

Cheers.
    the draught seals can not be replaced on aluminium windows. The glazing seals and hinges can yes. We generally only replace the glass wedge gaskets if there is big gaps and it would be the same with hinges

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cheers.

Aluminium windows.

Id be looking at ways to get rid of them altogether, absolute shambles for thermal bridging.

The door should be between 2K and 2,8K depending on provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

listermint wrote: »
    Aluminium windows.

Id be looking at ways to get rid of them altogether, absolute shambles for thermal bridging.

The door should be between 2K and 2,8K depending on provider.

Thanks, you may be right about replacing the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks, you may be right about replacing the windows.

We did just that recently. We're having lots of problems with condensation on the aluminium frames and consequent mould growth around where the frame meets the recess. Replaced with UPVC windows and haven't had any problems since. Got a composite door too which is a huge improvement on the old draughty wooden Munster Joinery door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Alun wrote: »
    We did just that recently. We're having lots of problems with condensation on the aluminium frames and consequent mould growth around where the frame meets the recess. Replaced with UPVC windows and haven't had any problems since. Got a composite door too which is a huge improvement on the old draughty wooden Munster Joinery door.

Those aluminium windows are a disaster, like yourself the best money I ever spent was replacing them with uPVC with proper units.

• Advertisement
Advertisement