Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or landlords want viewing on the day you contacted them?

Options
  • 09-12-2020 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I contacted two landlords this morning and they replied, but both want me to do the viewing today. I work night shift and I don't drive to get me to the address quickly, so I told one landlord I can't make it tonight and to arrange it another day. He said to forget it instead.

The second landlord I contacted by email wants me to meet in the afternoon, which was couple of hours ago, but I was asleep. I emailed him to reschedule but he didn't reply.

It's my first time prospecting places to rent so I am unfamiliar with the norms, but do landlords want you to meet them on the same day that you contacted them? That's very inconsiderate given that people have very different circumstances. Like, the second landlord wants to arrange a viewing in the afternoon but did he not consider that most people don't finish work at 5 or just simply won't be available before then?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I Corps wrote: »
    It's my first time prospecting places to rent so I am unfamiliar with the norms, but do landlords want you to meet them on the same day that you contacted them? That's very inconsiderate given that people have very different circumstances. Like, the second landlord wants to arrange a viewing in the afternoon but did he not consider that most people don't finish work at 5 or just simply won't be able to be available before then?!
    Depending on where they are, they may be let quickly. Thus pointless making an appointment next week, when the place may be gone by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Corps

the_syco wrote: »
    Depending on where they are, they may be let quickly. Thus pointless making an appointment next week, when the place may be gone by then?

That's fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

They are the lords of the land.

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    They are the lords of the land.

And stupid and greedy ones at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

Not that you would generalise :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

All of them or just the ones that you have met?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Are these for outright property rental or renting a room in a houseshare?

DubCount wrote: »

Not that you would generalise :rolleyes:

Didn't mean to generalise, I'm just frustrated with the housing market because of past experience with me and my family. Fair play to some landlords but the one I had before kicked us out by saying the property is "collateral" for a mortgage. Our previous house was rented weeks later. So now we have to suffer with increased rent on a new home we've been living in for five years.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Are these for outright property rental or renting a room in a houseshare?

Both are renting a room in houseshare. The second place I referred to is an apartment that is cheap for me to move out to, close to my work and is located in the city centre. The landlord emailed to, as of this writing, did not respond back so I think I lost out on this dream accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Last time I listed a property for rent in Dublin I had 125 emails in less than 12 hours enquiring about it.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Last time I listed a property for rent in Dublin I had 125 emails in less than 12 hours enquiring about it.

Before I sold up, I rented it out for a number of years. The last time I placed an ad, I got 5 emails requesting viewings before I got the confirmation email from Daft to tell me the ad was up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Same, took down a Daft ad for apartment in Docklands 24hrs after it went up, already had over a hundred requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

... the one I had before kicked us out by saying the property is "collateral" for a mortgage. Our previous house was rented weeks later. So now we have to suffer with increased rent on a new home we've been living in for five years.

Hi, if I understood correctly, you got a termination letter for what reason exactly? A sale? If your place was rented out a few weeks later then i strongly recommend you to open RTB dispute against the unlawful eviction. You had a Part 4 Tenancy security for 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Before I sold up, I rented it out for a number of years. The last time I placed an ad, I got 5 emails requesting viewings before I got the confirmation email from Daft to tell me the ad was up.

Ive a friend who uses a burner email address when he advertises his rentals.
    He wont use a phone or his own email because of the volume of calls.
    When he has them let he just logs out of the email account never to return.
    Only thing is he never bothers taking down ads after that.
    People could be emailing him for months after and they wouldnt know its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

JimmyVik wrote: »

You have some ignorant friend then. I get the idea of creating a fake email address and so on but to keep the ad up on the website for months while knowing the place is long gone is not only rude but actually cruel. How long it takes to click "deactivate the add"? Thanks to ballsless goofballs like that the government thinks there are thousands of properties available on the market and that we have no housing problems!

You have some ignorant friend then. I get the idea of creating a fake email address and so on but to keep the ad up on the website for months while knowing the place is long gone is not only rude but actually cruel. How long it takes to click "deactivate the add"? Thanks to ballsless goofballs like that the government thinks there are thousands of properties available on the market and that we have no housing problems!

True. Ive told him many times. He says its not uncommon among his peers. Plus if anything goes wrong before the new tenant moves in then he just goes back and picks the most recent replies and starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

True. Ive told him many times. He says its not uncommon among his peers. Plus if anything goes wrong before the new tenant moves in then he just goes back and picks the most recent replies and starts again.

How many of his peers are landlords?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    How many of his peers are landlords?

Could be a fair few

Maybe 4 or 5 who I know personally. Pretty sure he knows a few more who I dont know. Hes been investing in property for around 20 years or so and has a good amount of properties, including commercial and multi unit. Its been his main income for some time now. So id say he has a big network in property.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

I contacted two landlords this morning and they replied, but both want me to do the viewing today. I work night shift and I don't drive to get me to the address quickly, so I told one landlord I can't make it tonight and to arrange it another day. He said to forget it instead.

The second landlord I contacted by email wants me to meet in the afternoon, which was couple of hours ago, but I was asleep. I emailed him to reschedule but he didn't reply.

It's my first time prospecting places to rent so I am unfamiliar with the norms, but do landlords want you to meet them on the same day that you contacted them? That's very inconsiderate given that people have very different circumstances. Like, the second landlord wants to arrange a viewing in the afternoon but did he not consider that most people don't finish work at 5 or just simply won't be available before then?!

I would echo what some posters mentioned-pick up the phone first if there's a number there.Tell them you're available to move in immediately and can provide bank statements,wage slips,employer/landlord ref and if your job is permanent/unaffected by Covid state that also.Have all those documents(copies)available when viewing.I find that generally works pretty well.Unfortunately slot of letting agencies/landlords request all those supporting docs.
    Understandable if you're renting to a stranger I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Daft drops the ads if they are not renewed within 7 days. There is a charge to keep ads going. Your "friend" is telling porkies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Adverts is plagued with dead ads. As it's pretty common everyone not just landlords. The websites should remove ads if there's no response from a seller in 5 days. Because it damages the reputation of the website. If the same machine keeps doing it. Block them.

• Advertisement

Hi, if I understood correctly, you got a termination letter for what reason exactly? A sale? If your place was rented out a few weeks later then i strongly recommend you to open RTB dispute against the unlawful eviction. You had a Part 4 Tenancy security for 6 years.

It is my parents who deal with landlords of any house we move into, so I don't have an inkling of what the termination letter was exactly. I should ask them about this and maybe we can open a dispute. Although, it has been more than five years now since we moved out from that place so even trying to open a dispute case could be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Although, it has been more than five years now since we moved out from that place so even trying to open a dispute case could be tricky.

I was told by RTB, that the statute of limitations is 6 years. So maybe you still have some time to do it.

Daft drops the ads if they are not renewed within 7 days. There is a charge to keep ads going. Your "friend" is telling porkies!

No it doesnt.
    I have an ad on Daft that I put up for a room in my sisters house for her.
    Its been up for a month now. I just checked. Its still there.
    I dont see the room getting taken any time soon either, so lets see how long before I have to renew it.

beauf wrote: »
    Adverts is plagued with dead ads. As it's pretty common everyone not just landlords. The websites should remove ads if there's no response from a seller in 5 days. Because it damages the reputation of the website. If the same machine keeps doing it. Block them.

I agree. Some here would have you believe that they are removed after a week and there are no ads still up for already taken properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

No it doesnt.
    I have an ad on Daft that I put up for a room in my sisters house for her.
    Its been up for a month now. I just checked. Its still there.
    I dont see the room getting taken any time soon either, so lets see how long before I have to renew it.

IS that a sharing ad?

Advertisement