Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a simple lean too shed

Options
  • 09-12-2020 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Thinking of building a very simple lean too onto an existing shed there is a concrete yard, would 4 by 4 box iron do the trick for uprights just a light corrugated sheeting on it maybe 8 foot high that I could back a couple of trailers in to keep the rain off them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

kerryjack wrote: »
    Thinking of building a very simple lean too onto an existing shed there is a concrete yard, would 4 by 4 box iron do the trick for uprights just a light corrugated sheeting on it maybe 8 foot high that I could back a couple of trailers in to keep the rain off them.

To be honest Jack, 8x4 ipe would nearly be as cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

I've a 40' container that I put a lean to onto. It comes out 20' and is 15' high. I used 100mm tubing at each end n put one in the middle n not a bother on it. 9x3s between each post n 7x2s ran out from container.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

enricoh wrote: »
    I've a 40' container that I put a lean to onto. It comes out 20' and is 15' high. I used 100mm tubing at each end n put one in the middle n not a bother on it. 9x3s between each post n 7x2s ran out from container.
    9 by 3 jesus I was thinking 6 by 2 around and 4 by 2 in between, they wouldn't be much weight on it but of course you would want it storm proof nothing worse than a shed you would be worried about the storm carrying. I have enough of them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I'm at a lean too at the moment 70 ft x 27 onto an existing lean too I'm using 8x5 rsj uprights and 8x4 rsj for the trusses and 6x3 imported timber for runners one thing I'd say is keep the low end as high as you can we didnt think of this when at the first shed now we are down to 8.5ft at the low end of the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

lab man wrote: »
    I'm at a lean too at the moment 70 ft x 27 onto an existing lean too I'm using 8x5 rsj uprights and 8x4 rsj for the trusses and 6x3 imported timber for runners one thing I'd say is keep the low end as high as you can we didnt think of this when at the first shed now we are down to 8.5ft at the low end of the shed

Same thing was going to happen with one here and even though a valley is pain in the rear I decided to rise the extension on the outside and create a valley. I sweep it out 5 or 6 times in Autumn and it doesn't really cause trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

lab man wrote: »

Any pictures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭zetor 4911

enricoh wrote: »

Are the 9x3 the trusses coming out from the container and supported by the 100mm tubing at the end and the middle?

mengele wrote: »
    Any pictures ?

I don't know how to put pics on boards if you send a PM I'll send them to you

Grueller wrote: »
    Same thing was going to happen with one here and even though a valley is pain in the rear I decided to rise the extension on the outside and create a valley. I sweep it out 5 or 6 times in Autumn and it doesn't really cause trouble.

I couldn't do that as there is a house beside the shed belonging to a neighbour don't want to cause hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Same here, in process of Putting Lean-to Onto Stone Building.
    One thing I didn't think of & was reminded by a Local Builder is to keep a reasonable pitch on the roof.
    If it's too flat one of those Bad winters like a few yrs back & one has a mountain of snow pushing down on the roof & a cave in.

• Advertisement

Track9 wrote: »
    Same here, in process of Putting Lean-to Onto Stone Building.
    One thing I didn't think of & was reminded by a Local Builder is to keep a reasonable pitch on the roof.
    If it's too flat one of those Bad winters like a few yrs back & one has a mountain of snow pushing down on the roof & a cave in.

That's why I'm using 8x4 rsj trusses and 6x3 runners

Advertisement