Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I run oil or lpg pipe internally?

Options
  • 09-12-2020 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads, have a large house, 4 floors, each 2000sq foot roughly. Can I run an oil or lpg pipe inside the house, beside where the bathrooms will be, to a combi boiler etc or do I have to have largeish pipe run, before dhw will hit the taps? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Hi lads, have a large house, 4 floors, each 2000sq foot roughly. Can I run an oil or lpg pipe inside the house, beside where the bathrooms will be, to a combi boiler etc or do I have to have largeish pipe run, before dhw will hit the taps? Thanks

You have a 8,000sq ft house. Let me be the first to tell you that a combi Is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Part of me would be reluctant, especially with the oil. What if there is a leak?

Note that your boiler(s) needs to be near an external wall anyway for the flue.

Victor wrote: »
    Part of me would be reluctant, especially with the oil. What if there is a leak?

No, you’re incorrect on all counts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You have a 8,000sq ft house. Let me be the first to tell you that a combi Is not for you.

Thinking storage combi for part of house to heat 2 suites and their two ensuites. 90 sq m total. Project being done in phases. Thinking storage combi boiler.

I believe oil much cheaper per kwh currently , but higher initial installation cost. Dont know if oil boilers can modulate...

Victor wrote: »

Thanks victor yes can site them on external wall... oil leak is one issue that I thought of too... or you go back to air to air or a2w, so many options. Will research costs more...

• Advertisement

Thanks victor yes can site them on external wall... oil leak is one issue that I thought of too... or you go back to air to air or a2w, so many options. Will research costs more...

Your boiler does not need to be near an external wall. LPG is more expensive than oil but installation is much the same.

Thinking storage combi for part of house to heat 2 suites and their two ensuites. 90 sq m total. Project being done in phases. Thinking storage combi boiler.

I believe oil much cheaper per kwh currently , but higher initial installation cost. Dont know if oil boilers can modulate...

A2w isn’t an option for that size or age of house.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    A2w isn’t an option for that size or age of house.

Assuming you would ecommend oil ? Not on natural gas line...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Centralise your boilers and hot water cylinders. Don’t have boilers and cylinders spread all through the house.

Have as few boilers and cylinders as possible.

The biggest reason for this is ease of maintenance and repair.

But also, boilers run that bit more efficiently if they have a reasonably large load in proportion to their overall capacity. Having loads of boilers, each separately cycling on and off is not good.

Thirdly, gas and oil lines are expensive to install. Water lines are pretty cheap.

If you have a big house and want instant hot water at every tap then a decent plumber can design this for you.

Advertisement