Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping rust at bay

Options
  • 09-12-2020 5:57pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I have a boiler stove which I intend to install in a few months. Only storage I have is the shed which has a lot of condensation etc at the moment. Outer rust I can deal with, but I am worried about the boiler rusting internally.

Is there anything I can do at the moment to prevent this (apart from moving the stove)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

Any rust that forms should only be surface only I would have thought? You could put something in there to absorb any moisture in the air- empty a bag of rice or dry fullers earth (kitty litter) into a sock and leave it in the stove, with the door shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Youd have to cover the stove in a surface covering because rust will just happen in air (especially in this country)

And oil surface that can be removed later by heat. Perhaps spraying the whole thing in WD40 or similar and top it up every now and then.

Burn it off in the back garden when ready by lighting the stove outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Take a look at the boiler some if not a lot are now made of stainless steel.

The problem is getting a good covering this sort of wax might help https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morris-Ankor-Wax-Preservative-Fluid/dp/B08562QPPT/ but I have also found any good solid furniture wax is good on cast iron.

Waxol is another product which just might be of use https://www.micksgarage.com/d/body-repair-and-preparation/products/2455752/waxoyl-rust-treatment-refill-clear-5-litre

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks lads,

it's the internal surface of the boiler I am worried about. Not the outer. When I connect up the water to the boiler and rust bits can clog up the pimp or system.
    If I were to fill the boiler with something like antifreeze would that prevent inside boiler rust?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sorry, I misinterpreted, maybe buy some Fernox and throw some diluted mix into the boiler.

• Advertisement

Aren't the connections to the new boiler already sealed?

Edit: If not then give a good spray with some fogging oil in every connection then seal them up with plugs.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

stove is not new and is not sealed. I can seal the openings but as far as I know there will still be condensation on the inside of the boiler if in a damper shed.

eamon11 wrote: »
    stove is not new and is not sealed. I can seal the openings but as far as I know there will still be condensation on the inside of the boiler if in a damper shed.

If you do seal it then you can only leave a tiny amount of moisture inside it. The fogging oil will cover most of the inside with oil and if you plug the bottom hole then give it a good squirt in the top hole just before sealing that then the propellant will probably displace a lot of damp air leaving very little to do any damage on surfaces mostly covered in oil anyway.

Or tip in a bottle of Fernox F1 and top up with water before sealing. Thats what will be in your central heating anyway.

Advertisement