Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen watches

Options
  • 09-12-2020 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if theres any register for stolen watches? Mine were stolen from outside the house back in Oct (whilst in the UK) so insurance won't pay out in full because of that. I've contacted the manufacturers but thats only of use if they ever make their way back to them. In the meantime i'm wondering if theres anywhere else i can register.

Otherwise if anyone sees this for sale anywhere and let's me know (its an unusual in that theres virtually no rose gold with grey dial on rubber so it stands out) theres a hefty reward in it for you.

49-B877-FD-50-A5-4-A5-E-850-A-79-CDDA8-FCB1-F.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

https://www.thewatchregister.com/

That’s terrible. Were you mugged I assume? AP, Rolex and Patek are magnets as their design can be seen from 20 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Time wrote: »
    Does anyone know if theres any register for stolen watches? Mine were stolen from outside the house back in Oct (whilst in the UK) so insurance won't pay out in full because of that. I've contacted the manufacturers but thats only of use if they ever make their way back to them. In the meantime i'm wondering if theres anywhere else i can register.

Otherwise if anyone sees this for sale anywhere and let's me know (its an unusual in that theres virtually no rose gold with grey dial on rubber so it stands out) theres a hefty reward in it for you.

Very sorry to hear that.

Short answer is, I've no idea, but would be willing to help in whatever way we can.

I'd imagine that posts on the most prominent forums would be useful to at least raise awareness on the particular models, to alert potential buyers to be wary and on the look out for deals that are to good to be true.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Only hope here is that the watch is presented to a AP dealer. AP are like patek they allow "extracts from the archive" for watches without papers. They will reissue papers with a watch. If you register it as stolen it may be presented, but the general story is its traded between scumbags for the first few years before it make its way back into the type of owner that gets it serviced and wants new papers.

I would be interested in the mechanics of this robbery, were you wearing it at the time?

Total bummer, I am very sorry.

It would be worth posting the serial number here as its google searchable and might throw up a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Does anyone know if theres any register for stolen watches? Mine were stolen from outside the house back in Oct (whilst in the UK) so insurance won't pay out

Very sorry to hear :(

Should you buy another valuable watch, make sure you specify it on your home insurance. Your premium will go up a little bit but your watch will be covered for all risks. If you lose it while swimming in the sea on holidays in Italy, you are covered. If you get assaulted on your walk in the park and it gets stolen / robbed, you are covered. If you get drunk in a night on the town and you wake up without your watch, you are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Fitz II wrote: »
    Only hope here is that the watch is presented to a AP dealer. AP are like patek they allow "extracts from the archive" for watches without papers. They will reissue papers with a watch. If you register it as stolen it may be presented, but the general story is its traded between scumbags for the first few years before it make its way back into the type of owner that gets it serviced and wants new papers.

I would be interested in the mechanics of this robbery, were you wearing it at the time?

Total bummer, I am very sorry.

It would be worth posting the serial number here as its google searchable and might throw up a lead.

No I wasn’t mugged thankfully, tbh at least if I was they’d have only gotten one watch!

Without going into too much detail they were taken from where I was staying. It’s probably going to end up in court for the balance of the money so I don’t want to say too much.

AP have been very good but like you said it’ll be a long time before it ends back with them, if ever. Same with Rolex but those are even less likely to be sent back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Fitz II

tbh at least if I was they’d have only gotten one watch!

Did they get the batgirl as well? :eek:

Fitz II wrote: »
    Did they get the batgirl as well? :eek:

No, I’d replaced that with a Batman after not gelling with the jubilee. But that’s gone, so a hefty enough loss. On the bright side I’ve a nice cheque burning a hole in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Did you still have the box and papers with the serial number?

Did you still have the box and papers with the serial number?

I do for both of them, I’ll post up the serials later when I get home.

On the bright side I’ve a nice cheque burning a hole in my pocket.

From your home insurance company? So they partially paid out even though the valuable watches weren't at home and they weren't specified (as all risk)?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    From your home insurance company? So they partially paid out even though the valuable watches weren't at home and they weren't specified (as all risk)?

They were specified items that were covered outside of the home, because they weren’t in a safe or on my wrist the payable amount was reduced.

Ah ok. You must have had some value in watches that your insurance company added the safe condition. Tough going, you fell between a rock and a hard place :(

Care to share what percentage of the insured value they paid out?

unkel wrote: »
    Ah ok. You must have had some value in watches that your insurance company added the safe condition. Tough going, you fell between a rock and a hard place :(

Care to share what percentage of the insured value they paid out?

70 or 75 % I can’t remember which, but that missing amount is still a significant chunk of cash

Still looks like a decent offer. It's rare an insurer pays out when they wouldn't have to. But maybe it's in the small print somewhere. But yeah, you would still be many thousands short. Sorry to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Really sorry to hear that Time - big financial hit to swallow and some very difficult-to-replace pieces. Chin up, things can always be worse. The mod on WUS Stowa forum who was victim of a theft in London.

Long shot but if it was overseas worth looking into travel insurance? I'm sure there will be an excess and limit of liability but might cover the missing 25-30%?

If it was in a hotel/guesthouse the property operator may also be able to assist. As someone who works in the travel industry I've experience handling claims of theft/forced intrusion and nobody has ever been left stuck.

david wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that Time - big financial hit to swallow and some very difficult-to-replace pieces. Chin up, things can always be worse. The mod on WUS Stowa forum who was victim of a theft in London.

Long shot but if it was overseas worth looking into travel insurance? I'm sure there will be an excess and limit of liability but might cover the missing 25-30%?

If it was in a hotel/guesthouse the property operator may also be able to assist. As someone who works in the travel industry I've experience handling claims of theft/forced intrusion and nobody has ever been left stuck.

Thanks, i can't go into too much detail but theres a good chance i'll recover the balance through court action (obviously thats a serious headache though). Replacing that RO is the real kick in the teeth tbh, i've been searching constantly and not a single matching one has come up the past month.

Serials for the watches are

Royal Oak - H26382 no. 3349
    GMT Master - 751O35M4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bad news OP, sorry to hear. My guess is they're gone to mainland Europe. Only tip I have is search using https://www.watchrecon.com/ it might show them up, are you a member of time zone uk? If not do you want one of us to put a post up there for you?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Bad news OP, sorry to hear. My guess is they're gone to mainland Europe. Only tip I have is search using https://www.watchrecon.com/ it might show them up, are you a member of time zone uk? If not do you want one of us to put a post up there for you?

Yeah i'm a member there but can't access the sales forum, but i doubt they'd be sold there tbh. Will check out watchrecon, thanks for the tip.

Advertisement