Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker Switch with integrated socket - need RCD?

Options
  • 09-12-2020 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Would a Cooker switch supplying an induction hob (13A rated) with an integrated socket require the circuit to be protected by an RCBO/RCD?

716MEFfS3XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not an electrician but I thought Cooker switches with sockets were outlawed in Ireland 20 or 30 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I would say definitely yes. I haven't see those for years and I didn't think they were still being installed, other lads on here might have more say on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not an electrician but I thought Cooker switches with sockets were outlawed in Ireland 20 or 30 years ago

I doubt it?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/british-general-900-series-45a-2-gang-dp-cooker-switch-13a-dp-switched-socket-white/56392

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

screwfix might sell them but we have not had them in Ireland for years now. unless something has changed in the recent regs, and I don't think it has.

There are some slight differences with the UK regs and the Irish regs.

The use of single sockets with the assumption that there will be a plug top with a 13amp fuse is along these lines.

Small differences, but typically here the cooker switch would be fed from a 30amp MCB and 6.sq.mm cable, the socket circuit via a 20 amp MCB/RCD , RCBO type arrangement and 2.5.sq.mm cable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I doubt it?

Screwfix.ie, B&Q etc are UK stores. They import directly from the UK. Now I could be wrong about these cooker switches but just because they sell them doesn't mean they meet our wiring regulations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Sockets for general use require RCD

Not sure if there's a specific regulation outlawing them but they haven't been around for years here.

Probably still in use in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Sockets for general use require RCD

Not sure if there's a specific regulation outlawing them but they haven't been around for years here.

Probably still in use in the UK?
    Still used (occasionally), but have to be RCD protected as with any socket-outlets.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Still used (occasionally), but have to be RCD protected as with any socket-outlets.

Doesn't seem to be a rule outlawing them if they are RCD protected and meet the lower height for sockets

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be a rule outlawing them if they are RCD protected and meet the lower height for sockets
    Nobody does use them in the south though. I think this was out of a belief that they were banned, presumably the thinking being that a cooker isn't generally RCD protected. That said, there's nothing to prevent you from protecting a cooker with an RCD.

In fact in the north new installations tend to RCD protect cookers, as there is a requirement for all buried cables not in Earthed metallic conduit etc. to be RCD protected there.

Personally speaking I wouldn't fit one in the south as it would lead to accusations of it being "wrong" even if someone couldn't back it up with the Rules.

That was my reasoning , the new rules which will likely see all final circuits RCD protected here

There are 1 or 2 rules around heavy loads having dedicated circuits , not sure if any applies to cooking loads or if that would rule out a socket outlet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

So if you had to fit one down south and we’re going to put it on a RCBO would it be a 20 or 32 amp?

I think I would just avoid full stop

So if you had to fit one down south and we’re going to put it on a RCBO would it be a 20 or 32 amp?

I think I would just avoid full stop
    There's no issue with socket-outlets being protected by a 32A protective device. After all that's what happens with a ring final circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yanno what, I'll just avoid it and go with a 1-gang cooker switch and try squeeze a double socket near it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yanno what, I'll just avoid it and go with a 1-gang cooker switch and try squeeze a double socket near it.

That is what I would do.

Advertisement