Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teagasc Sign Up

Options
  • 08-12-2020 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering what are people opinions on signing up for the Teagasc bundle. I'm a young farmer (25) and just starting out on my own on the farm. Was thinking it would be a good idea to get a teagasc man out to walk the farm with me and try to get a plan in place short term and long term to keep me on the right track. And for help availing of the grants and schemes to sign up for.
    Just wondering have people on here signed up for it and is it worth it? Think the bundle with a farm call out is 225 euro or thereaboutsss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

Diarmuid B wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just wondering what are people opinions on signing up for the Teagasc bundle. I'm a young farmer (25) and just starting out on my own on the farm. Was thinking it would be a good idea to get a teagasc man out to walk the farm with me and try to get a plan in place short term and long term to keep me on the right track. And for help availing of the grants and schemes to sign up for.
    Just wondering have people on here signed up for it and is it worth it? Think the bundle with a farm call out is 225 euro or thereaboutsss.

Depends what they do for the 225 and what way your farming(size/stock/system)at minute- scheme’s like BDGP/BEAM/BEEP/Sending away BPS form are simple enough if your anyway handy on phone/computer.Tegasc getting handy money every year off farmers for a few clicks on the computer.I would try to familiarise yourself with Agfood and ICBF(maybe join herdplus 60 euro a year)-you will learn a lot about scheme’s and your herd-everything can be done online now.
    As far as a plan-I would chat to farmers in your area and see what advice they would come up with to suit your needs.There may also be non tegasc ag advisors in your area might be cheaper and just as good.You’ve youth on your side-good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Micey.ie wrote: »
    Depends what they do for the 225 and what way your farming(size/stock/system)at minute- scheme’s like BDGP/BEAM/BEEP/Sending away BPS form are simple enough if your anyway handy on phone/computer.Tegasc getting handy money every year off farmers for a few clicks on the computer.I would try to familiarise yourself with Agfood and ICBF(maybe join herdplus 60 euro a year)-you will learn a lot about scheme’s and your herd-everything can be done online now.
    As far as a plan-I would chat to farmers in your area and see what advice they would come up with to suit your needs.There may also be non tegasc ag advisors in your area might be cheaper and just as good.You’ve youth on your side-good luck

From my time in IFA I can tell you all independent consultants aren't great either.
    Teagasc is a good start, you'll get good broad spectrum advice but it depends how much the farmer knows, if he's an ag graduate or similar he's starting on a different level,
    There's no reason not to get advice from a couple sources, €500 will be small money to avoid mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

wrangler wrote: »
    From my time in IFA I can tell you all independent consultants aren't great either.
    Teagasc is a good start, you'll get good broad spectrum advice but it depends how much the farmer knows, if he's an ag graduate or similar he's starting on a different level,
    There's no reason not to get advice from a couple sources, €500 will be small money to avoid mistakes

I left teagasc after about a decade. Advisors kept changing and they weren't doing anything for me which ended up costing me a few thousand on one occasion. I'm with a private crowd now that I felt I had to sign up with because the main shareholders in a commonage were with them and I would need to get a plan done for glas anyway. I find these are pretty useless as well and I really wonder why I'm paying them an annual fee. I'm looking at it as a kind of insurance as if something did go wrong with a scheme it could cost me thousands. While I'm pretty savy with paperwork I'm not doing it every day of the week and an ag consultant surely has some practical knowledge that might be of use.

Advertisement