Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dry lining - cold bridge question

Options
  • 08-12-2020 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Apologies if this has been brought up before - I know that are numerous threads on dry lining but I didn't see any posters in a similar situation to myself

I just bought a 2 bed, concrete built, 1950s, end of terrace house and I want to dry line the inside of the exterior walls. However, the hot water cylinder (and all the pipes that go with it) are right up against the wall (gable) in the small second bedroom.

Is it too risky to leave out a section of drylining? by doing this I would not have to move the cylinder and pipes etc but I am concerned that It will cause a cold bridge.

I have contacted a contractor about it and he said 'It should be fine'...didn't fill me with confidence though!

Any advice very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Have you considered ewi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Man Daughter other

Too risky... No, depends on the surface area but old stone walls are a heat sink or cold bridge If there's no proper thermal layer. Moving piping and tanks would not cost a lot 2-300€ if they're honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Could you build an insulated press around the hot water cylinder to effectively thermally isolate it from the interior of the house? (Obvioulsy you would need to insulate the tank and piping as well).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

What’s all the drama about, move the cylinder. Enough of the girls talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Do you have enough room to put lagging around the pipes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Put in a combi boiler in the attic and get rid of the cylinder. Free up space in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

What age is the cylinder that's there?

There's no point in half assing it, you'll be wanting to go back and fix it afterwards

If you can afford it, consider ewi, you can completely rejuvenate the exterior appearance while your at it, although then you'll be better off looking at windows at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Have you considered ewi?

I can’t imagine it’d be worthwhile, it’s a ridiculous price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Horse out the cylinder make it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

ted1 wrote: »
    I can’t imagine it’d be worthwhile, it’s a ridiculous price

Correct, don't imagine, never a good idea.
    Look at what is the best solution for the OP.
    The cylinder is a distraction from what is the most suitable solution for walls of this nature.
    OP are there any wall vents in the rooms?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Alkers wrote: »

There's no point in half assing it, you'll be wanting to go back and fix it afterwards

If you can afford it, consider ewi, you can completely rejuvenate the exterior experience while your at it, although then you'll be better off looking at windows at the same time

Love these type of comments, that's like using a sledgehammer to break a nut, you realise a conservative estimate for ewi is north of €120 a square meter, "completely renovate the exterior experience" for the love of jesus and then recommend changing windows, lol, you have 30 grand spent trying to overcome a minor problem insulating around a cylinder, worth it tho if you get to save €250 a year on heating alright.
    OP, if it was me I'd either make an insulated box around the whole lot or move the cylinder or maybe spend 30 grand on an "experience " :pac:

Love these type of comments, that's like using a sledgehammer to break a nut, you realise a conservative estimate for ewi is north of €120 a square meter, "completely renovate the exterior experience" for the love of jesus and then recommend changing windows, lol, you have 30 grand spent trying to overcome a minor problem insulating around a cylinder, worth it tho if you get to save €250 a year on heating alright.
    OP, if it was me I'd either make an insulated box around the whole lot or move the cylinder or maybe spend 30 grand on an "experience " :pac:

Calm down!

I asked about the age of the cylinder, as if it's old, it's likely to need replacing anyway which means it's completely non-sensical not to insulate behind it.

Then separately I suggested looking into EWI, as it's a 1950s end of terrace he's moving in to. This wasn't just to address the issue of the HW cylinder, rather the approach to the whole house. Experience was a typo - should have read appearance!

Have you considered knocking the house and rebuilding to a modern standard ?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Have you considered knocking the house and rebuilding to a modern standard ?:pac:

:D

Some of the previous answers remind me of those threads in the motors forum, where someone will ask for advice on buying a second hand diesel car for a budget of €3000, and will gets loads of answers advising them to buy a brand new Tesla instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

Is it too risky to leave out a section of drylining? by doing this I would not have to move the cylinder and pipes etc but I am concerned that It will cause a cold bridge.

Aren't all of the walls cold bridges right now? Obviously better to have none, but surely better to have a small area of cold bridging rather than a large one...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 limerickman89

Thanks for all the replies. I should have perhaps elaborated a little more on the situation.

I am a first time buyer on a budget and the house is a doer-upper. Long term I would be thinking of letting the house so I don't want to be spending more than I need to.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Have you considered ewi?
    Alkers wrote: »

If you can afford it, consider ewi, you can completely rejuvenate the exterior appearance while your at it, although then you'll be better off looking at windows at the same time

I have gotten a number of quotes for ewi - out of my budget though I am afraid.

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    What’s all the drama about, move the cylinder. Enough of the girls talk.
    Too risky... No, depends on the surface area but old stone walls are a heat sink or cold bridge If there's no proper thermal layer. Moving piping and tanks would not cost a lot 2-300€ if they're honest.

Again, I should have given a bit more information in my original post - I agree that moving the boiler is not an overly daunting job, however there is an issue in the fact that the room is just about big enough for a 4ft double bed. I am concerned that moving the cylinder any further into the room will make it too small.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Put in a combi boiler in the attic and get rid of the cylinder. Free up space in the process
    I inquired about this but unfortunately the water pressure is too low for a combi
    Nermal wrote: »
    Aren't all of the walls cold bridges right now? Obviously better to have none, but surely better to have a small area of cold bridging rather than a large one...

I suppose the argument would be that condensation/mold will build up with warm sections adjoining cold... although I think my options are limited and this may be a risk I will have to take

I inquired about this but unfortunately the water pressure is too low for a combi

Talk to s different plumber, we've very poor water pressure with s combi. You can get around it by increasing the cold water storage capacity significantly

• Registered Users Posts: 10 limerickman89

I have spoken to 2 plumbers about this and both told me the same thing. But that is an interesting comment regarding increasing the capacity.

I will try a different plumber with this in mind - thanks

Advertisement